sweetest couple ever

Above: where Harry, Ara, Jack and Ev have dinner

________________

My flat is usually so peaceful at night. It's quiet, cozy, and comforting. However, tonight is quite the exception.

"I know we needed to land a big client, but holy shit Ev, this is a lot." Jack tossed his head back against the couch in exasperation. "Ara is emailing us constantly with a new theme, or new table settings and I can't handle it anymore." He sighed.

I laughed and shook my head. "Jack, this is different, I know. But it's only different because we actually have work to do now. Just go with it. I know it's a lot." I smiled at him. "I guess we can be happy that Harry isn't a psycho maniac like Ara is. Does he have any input on this ceremony?" Jack asked, flipping through some papers.

"Not really, but he wants it that way. He said that he wants her to have everything she wants." I said, smiling at the thought. What a genuinely wonderful man. "Really? How do you know that? Did he tell you?" Jack asked. "He mentioned it over lunch the other day. He seems to be okay with whatever she likes."  I said, holding up two colour samples.

"Are you feeling rose gold or vintage rose?" I asked Jack. "What the hell is the difference?" "Ara isn't sure between the two and asked me to pick. It's for the table cloths."

"You've got to be kidding me." Jack rolled his eyes before checking the time. "Oh shit, it's 11:30. I have to go. I have a midterm tomorrow morning and I haven't studied for it yet." Jack said. "You haven't studied?" I asked, confused. "Ev, I've been kind of busy planning Harry Styles' wedding- remember?" He winked. "Don't worry though, it's not a big deal. I have a great mark in the class so it's kind of a safety blanket, you know?" He said, getting up and kissing my cheek. I smiled.

"See you tomorrow night for our dinner with Harry and Ara?" I asked him before he walked out. He rolled his eyes but nodded. "I'll be there. I won't be happy about it, but I'll be there." He smiled faintly and I laughed before waving as he shut the door.

________

I was sitting at the table alone. Everyone else was now ten minutes late. Harry, Ara and Jack. Don't ask me why, since no one is answering their phone. As I sat there nervously, I began to worry. What if Harry and Ara thought someone else could plan their wedding better? I wasn't kidding about being in the hole if I didn't land anyone. I really need to keep them happy.

"Nervous much?" Jack smirked, sliding into the seat next to me. "Where the fuck were you?" I said under my breath so I didn't alarm anyone. "I was standing outside the restaurant spying for you." He smirked, and I narrowed my eyes. "Sorry? I didn't realize my office assistant was also James Bond?" I glared at him, shaking my head.

"Hey, easy Ev. Don't you want to know what I saw?" He oozed confidence. I guess I did want to know what was so utterly fascinating to him at this moment. "Fine." I sighed, sipping my water. "Harry and Ara. They were outside, having some giant argument. I got out of my car and heard their voices so I headed over to say hi, but then I realized they were fighting and I hid behind a bush." He raised his eyebrows at me.

"Arguing? That doesn't sound right. They're the sweetest couple ever." I guess it would make sense, because they are late, and that gives them a reason to be. "Trust me, they were arguing." Jack said. "Did you hear what it was about? Did either of them mention rose gold or vintage rose?" I asked, paranoid. "What the fuck? No? Cut it out with that colour shit. Rose gold is the way to go, get past it." Jack rolled his eyes. "Oh? Is it? I had no idea you were such a-"

"Hey, guys. Sorry we're late. Traffic." Ara said cheerily, taking her seat. Harry came in behind her looking a little less cheery, but forced a smile when he saw Jack and I.

"Hey, nice to see you guys." He said, sitting down across from me. I eyed him suspiciously, and he caught me gaze, lightly shaking his head, as if to tell me 'don't worry about it'.

"So, Evelynn, I was thinking, I'm in love with vintage rose for the table cloths. I know I asked you to pick, but I just really love the vintage." She smiled sweetly. I glanced over at Jack, who looked like he was fuming. I smiled and nodded. "Vintage it is." I said, taking out my notebook and jotting it down.

"So, what is the happy couple up to this weekend?" Jack asked, pretending to be interested. "Oh, not much. Harry is heading out of town. So I'll just be doing wedding planning." Ara smiled, but I could see the pain in her face. "Out of town? To where?" I asked him. "Just to play a gig in New York with a friend." Harry shrugged, and Ara's body language visibly shifted.

She obviously didn't like something about that plan.

"Sounds nice. Listen, I was thinking, you should get me to play guitar for you my good man." Jack smiled at Harry, and I almost felt winded. I had never seen Jack ask for something outright.

"What?" Harry laughed. "I love playing guitar, and I'm super fucking good. It's one of my main hobbies, besides being Evelynn's bitch and going to school for the entire fucking day." Jack laughed, and the entire table laughed with him. "Interesting. Well, I'll take it into consideration." Harry smiled awkwardly at him.

After we ordered, Ara got up to use the washroom, which left just Harry, Jack and I.

It was silent until Jack's big mouth got us in trouble.

"So, trouble in paradise?"

I swear, he's too much.

"What? No, of course not." Harry said, nonchalantly. I raised my eyebrows at him. His face faltered and he let out a sigh.

"How do you even fucking know?" He asked us. "I hid behind a bush and listened to your fight outside the restaurant." Jack said, like it was nothing. Harry looked visibly alarmed.

"What's going on?" I asked him, whole-heartedly. He opened his mouth to speak but Ara came back into view, and he shut it. "Still no food? I swear, the service here is getting worse."

And the night went on.

__________

"So, what the fuck do you think is up?" Jack asked, as he pulled up to my flat. "Do you think they're splitting up?" He asked, and I shook my head. "No. When you're engaged, small fights and disagreements are temporary restraints, they don't end your relationship." I said.

"But they've only been together for a year. Maybe it's too soon?" Jack asked. "Look, you should stop poking around in their business, okay? You do realize that if we lose them as clients, I lose my entire business, okay? So shut the fuck up about their personal shit, order me some vintage rose tablecloths, and just do the job I pay you to do, please?" I said, my tone bitter. He raised his hands in defence.

"I'm on your side, Ev. I'm sorry." He said genuinely as I opened the car door to get out. "If you're on my side, you're on their side too." I reminded him before shutting the door and walking into my flat.

As I was about to hop in the shower, my phone rang. I didn't recognize the number, so I answered it.

"Hello?" I said warily. "Evelynn? It's Harry. I got your phone number from Ara. I wanted to ask you something about the wedding." He said, and I shrugged, reaching for my notebook. "Shoot." I said.

"Okay, first of all, I hate rose gold tablecloths and second of all, I'd like to handle the entertainment, if that's alright?" He asked politely. "Of course, Harry. Is that all?" I asked, my pen hovering over the page.

There was silence.

"Harry?" I asked, but nothing.

As soon as I was about to hang up the phone, his voice came through on the other end.

"Are you doing anything tomorrow?"

***

writing Jack in this chapter was something I enjoyed thoroughly

hope you enjoyed it!