on his knees for you

Above: Ev's personal office

______________

"Mom, I gotta go. I'll talk to you later." I tried not to sound abrasive but she wanted to talk to me for hours on end and I was at the office. "Okay, I love you Evie. Make sure you phone me soon." I could practically hear the smile in her voice, and it caused a smile to form on my face as well.

"I will, mom. I love you too. Bye." I hung up the call and walked out into the reception area. I had three different meetings today with potential clients and I felt like they all went incredibly well.

"That's next Friday at one in the afternoon, we'll see you then." Jack spoke into the phone and I smiled at him. "Business is booming." I said happily after he hung up. "You've got that right." He mumbled, trying to avoid eye contact with me.

He'd been really distant since the whole Harry thing and I kind of felt bad.

"Jack, how long are you going to ignore me?" I sighed, and he looked up at my from his phone. "I'm not ignoring you, Evelynn, I'm just not talking to you." He stated and I rolled my eyes. "Jack, can we settle this? I'm not dating Harry." I sighed, sitting down in the chair behind me.

"Not yet, but it'll happen, and I can't believe I didn't see it. You know, he told me that if I wanted you I should go for you, but I didn't know he was also going for you at the same time." Jack sighed. "He's not going for me. Look, you're overreacting. I actually have some good news to share with you if you'd let me."

His eyes brightened a little, but he pretended not to care. "What?" His voice sounded disinterested but I knew he was anything but. "Harry invited us both to visit California with him for a few days coming up. I think we could both use a vacation." I admitted and I saw his jaw drop.

"A vacation? We're just getting started? Jesus, what happened to you, Ev? A few months ago you were here every single night of the week and now all of the sudden you want to take a vacation?" Jack argued.

"So, you don't want to go?" I brushed his comments aside, remembering that I'm his boss, not the other way around. "Hell yeah, I want to go, that sounds fucking awesome." He caved in and I laughed, knowing that was going to be the end result. The smile on his face was showing that he was done holding this little grudge against me.

"And don't worry, we'll still be working. I'm taking as much as I can with me and I'll be taking appointments over the phone." I said and he nodded. "Do you know when we're going?" Jack asked and I shook my head.

"No, I haven't even told Harry we'd go. He just asked me yesterday." I said. "What were you guys doing yesterday?" Jack asked, and right before I could answer, the door opened behind us.

"So, this is what a wedding planning business looks like across the pond, hey?" A familiar voice boomed through reception and Jack looked visibly confused. I couldn't believe it. He was here.

"Dad?" I asked, spinning around on my heel to face him. "Hi, Evie. Aren't you gonna give your Dad a hug?" He opened his arms, and I walked over to him, wrapping him in a brief hug before letting go.

"How did you find me?" I asked, and he scoffed. "I asked your mom. You know she can't keep a secret." He laughed and took a look around. "This is a nice building, Evie. Who's the boy?" He looked back at me, gesturing to Jack.

Jack was frozen in time, and I could tell he wasn't going to unfreeze anytime soon. "Dad, this is Jack, my receptionist and co-worker. In school, we learned it's always wise to have a male input on wedding planning and Jack has been more than helpful." I said casually and my dad stuck out his hand for Jack to shake.