you're powerless

Above: how I envisioned Harry's New York apartment (or at least the living room)

__________________

Ara seemed rather calm as she sat across from me. Her physical posture did not reveal much, other than that she was relaxed, which is the exact opposite of what I expected.

"So, how've you been? I haven't talked to you in what feels like ages." She smiled at me, sipping her glass of water. "I've been good. Business has really been booming, so I've actually been fairly preoccupied." I smiled and she nodded.

"And how's Harry?" She asked me and I frowned. That did not take long at all.

"Well, I think he's alright. Why do you ask?" I hesitated. "Well, I was just engaged to the guy a month ago. It's not like we don't still talk." She said, like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

This was news to me. I didn't know they still talked.

"Oh, well then I'm sure you know how he is, then?" I was getting confused. "He's kind of guarded, and obviously busy. I don't get much out of him anymore. Just the odd conversation. But I'm assuming you still hang out with him. You guys are friends, right?" I felt like Ara had some sort of hidden agenda, and that I was going to be sorry when I finally figured it out.

"Uhm, yes." I felt like I was on thin ice.

"That's cool. It's nice that you guys created a bond. You know, if it wasn't for me you guys would never have met. And, further, if it wasn't for me talking to you at the bar that night, I bet I'd still be marrying him." Ara said shortly.

Here we go.

"You can't seriously be blaming your failed engagement on me. Ara, I mean it when I say I did nothing but support you. I think I wanted you guys to get married more than you both did." I protested. "Then how come we broke up because of you?" She deadpanned.

"Because of me? Try again. You broke up because quite frankly, neither of you were ready. You two were always so back and forth about everything though, I actually still have all of your guys' wedding flowers on hold just in case you end up getting back together." I lied through my teeth. Jack and I had actually cancelled everything for the wedding weeks ago.

"You have such little faith in your boyfriend. He'd hate to hear that." Ara pouted. "My boyfriend? No, Ara, Harry is not my boyfriend." I rolled my eyes. "Boy toy sound better? I know you guys are sleeping together. Spare me the time of convincing me otherwise. I just can't believe I didn't see it coming. He was always sneaking around, finding reasons to 'stop by and check on something' for the wedding. It was always just to see you."

I felt my heart skip a beat but then remembered that I was the bad person who literally stole someone's fiancé.

"Evelynn, I'm just going to come right out and say it. You're a bitch. You're low. You sneaked around Harry and I and you won, for now. But the minute he sees there's nothing to you, he'll find someone more exciting and leave you, just like he did to me. Then, maybe we can meet for lunch again and compare stories." She said with a bitter tone.

Hurt flashed through me slowly and then all at once. Was that true? Was I just a girl in the string of girls? Was I temporary?

"That might be what you think, but I disagree. Harry and I love being together. We love each other's company and he's not going to just ditch me." I fired back. She shook her head. "Time will tell, Ev. Just don't be surprised when it happens." She said before smiling sweetly at me and getting up from the table and walking right out of the restaurant like she hadn't been there at all.