can't believe this is happening

Above: how I envisioned Harry's kitchen

___________________

I was unusually nervous as I pulled up to the café. I hadn't seen Harry in a little over a week, and I was a bit unsure of where we stood.

I noticed his car was already there when I parked and I looked into the café, seeing him typing away on his phone, unaware of my arrival. I locked my car and walked inside the café to the table he was at. He immediately turned off his phone and stood up, pulling me into a hug.

He felt safe, warm and loving as he held me against his chest. "Hello, love. How are you today?" He whispered into my hair. I swear, that sentence alone was enough to make me melt. "Better now." I whispered back and he laughed, pulling away from me.

"I ordered your usual so it would be here faster. I hope you don't mind." He beamed at me, and I looked down at my favourite sandwich already at the table. "Not at all. How was your flight back to London?" I asked, sitting down. He shrugged. "Uneventful. There wasn't any good company." He sighed.

"Ah, well maybe next time there will be." I smiled. Harry smiled back, but he seemed nervous. Almost like he was waiting to get something off his chest.

"So, I met with Ara last night, after my flight got in." Harry said and I raised my eyebrows. I hadn't gotten any texts from Ara. "How did that go?" I asked. "She told me that she wanted to go back to dating. Not be engaged, but just be together and have it be much more simple, like it used to be." He explained. I looked down at my hands.

Well, shit. What if he said yes? They were literally engaged a matter of months ago. There's no way his feelings have just disappeared.

"I said no, Ev." His lips curved upwards into a smile. I looked into his eyes while his searched mine, staring deep into my soul like they always do. "Why?" I tried to ask, nonchalantly. He smirked and raised an eyebrow at me. "Why don't you guess?" He sipped his glass of water, leaning back in his chair.

"Because you don't feel that way about her anymore?" I took the most generic guess possible, even though I knew what game he was playing at. He gave me an amused grin. "Yeah, well, that's part of it." His eyes were locked on me, and I didn't want to know what looking away would feel like.

"There's another part of it, too, if you'd like to hear it?" He smiled and I nodded, eager to hear what he had to say.

"I thought I had met the girl I was going to spend the rest of my life with. I genuinely did. I wouldn't have proposed that night if I didn't believe that. But, I guess things changed a bit when I met you. I enjoyed your presence so much I found myself searching for ways to come and visit you. I knew that shouldn't be the case- feeling so strongly about a woman when I'm engaged to a different one- but I couldn't help myself." He stated.

I felt the butterflies rising in my stomach.

"Naturally, like I do, I tried to ignore my feelings and try to focus on what I had, rather than what I truly wanted. After Ara and I stopped planning the wedding, I knew I had to find a way to get you to hang out with me that didn't involve planning my wedding. I'll admit that inviting you to LA was a long shot, and to this day I'm still surprised I managed to convince you to come. When you were there, and we were standing on the beach, I basically just realized that I feel too strongly about you to be just your friend. I know it's a little intimidating because of everything that comes in the 'you're dating Harry Styles' package, but I'm willing to try if you are."

His hands reached over the table and held mine, giving them a squeeze. "I really, really like you Evelynn, and I'm not interested in hiding it anymore." I felt tears pricking my eyelids. I wasn't expecting him to just cut to the chase like that.