Chapter 37 Congratulations

I was 50 % excited, 15 % sad and the whole 35% nervous when I woke up this morning. Graduation day wasn't only a right of passage or a tradition but a farewell to your childhood and the means of being a child  , running around , being careless and completely oblivious to the world out there. We were carefree and all was right in our eyes of the world. But there comes a time in every kid's life where we have to eventually grow up. It's not always willingly but it's the beauty of growing up. Oh what I would've given to be 6 years old again ... but I'm not. I'm 18 and today is graduation day. After today I'm an official member of society. I'm so to say a grown up. Well,  for the most part. I have responsibilities now certain expectations to up hold. And I think that's what made me the  saddest . To know that after today, I'll never get this day back again.

I'll never sit in Mrs Ryder's English class -right behind Sarah and infront of Derek - I'll never have lunch in that cafeteria where Savannah and I shared countless amounts of secrets. I'll never attend a football game as a student here again and feel the crowd's adrenaline as they cheer Chad on during the game. It's the little things that made Highschool special and you only see it once you can't have them anymore.

I told myself that today was going to be a good day and that this is supposed to be a day of celebration and that's exactly what I'm intending it to be. No more sadness . No more tears. This is going to be the best day ever !

Getting downstairs , I'm immediately bombarded with my dad hugging the life out of me .

"Oh ! My little girl's all grown up !" He said crying on my shoulder while I gently rubbed his back in attempt to calm my crying father.

"I'm still your little girl dad. I'm just graduating. "

"I know and then you're off to college, moving out , getting married and having kids . And as soon as we know it you'll be living in Florida with a husband and 4 kids !" He said dramatic, crying into my shoulder.

"But dad I'm just graduating. None of that is happening today... I'm still your little girl..."

"I know... it's just , especially hard on a father watching his princess grow up ." My dad said sniffling , standing up straight again.

"Oh Mike you're upsetting her. We're very proud of you sweetie and today is going to be a great day !" Mom said coming in and giving me a hug.

"Hey , what's going on down here ?" Logan said chirpy .

"And we're very proud of you too Logan." Mom said with a smile , while I could tell it meant a lot to him.

"You all packed ?" I said turning to Logan.

"Uh , yeah. I'll swing by later and just pick up my bags if that's okay with you Mrs Parker ? "

"Of course honey. We're picking up your mom in an hour so she'll be here pretty soon too."

"Awesome !" He exclaimed with the brightest smile.

"But first we should probably head to school or we'll miss our own graduation. You got your gown ?"

"Right here."

"Great. Let's go." I said before saying goodbye and heading to school.

****
The hall was packed with parents and family members, it almost made me nervous that I had to go up on stage . But I kept reminding myself that I wasn't the only one . Savannah and Logan were of course cracking jokes in attempt to get me to loosen up a bit. And it worked for a good second until we had to take our spots. It was like all eyes were on us - which they obviously were - as we walked down the aisle and took our seats. The valedictorian speeches went by pretty fast and some of them almost brought me to tears. And soon enough they were calling up our class. Luckily for me , Logan and Savannah were among the few that was up before me so it brought me a little comfort that I had time to prepare myself. Public events like this always made me nervous. But I just had to remind myself that this was going to be a great day !

"Logan Reese Delgada. " Principal  Weatherbe called while he shook hands and everyone clapped for him. I of course had to clap the loudest for my two friends so I looked like a complete weirdo by the time the principal called " Savannah Poppy Moore " I was cheering louder than anyone else while she waved at me from the stage. As my turn approached I was oddly enough calm and collected after I said my silient prayer, so when my name was finally called I walked up unto the stage with confidence. I even looked out into the crowd seeing my parents,  Aunt Tanya and Melody waving at me. And then I saw him. HE was here too. Not that I expected any less of him but it was still a strange feeling . I mean, we were still friends right ?

Peering my eyes away from his I shook the principal's hand before walking off while everyone cheered. It was a bitter sweet moment when we changed our tassels from right to left . But throwing our hats in the air was as much fun as high school musical made it out to seem. We just stood there for a second , bouncing up and down with our friends , cheering and hugging eachother. Our Highschool journey has finally come to an end after 12 years of late night studying and countless amounts of unnecessary tests.

After we as a group said our goodbyes to eachother we were met with our loved ones to further the celebration.

"Mom !" Logan said excited,  running up to his mom - not even caring what anyone else thought of his 'imagine ' anymore - he just held Melody while she told him how proud she was of him. While my parents and aunt Tanya did the same . But out of the corner of my eye I could see him lurking around, trying to catch my attention but also not wanting to interrupt this moment with my family. But I knew there was no use in ignoring him anymore.

"Thank you everyone. Would you excuse me for a second,  there's someone here I want to see ." I said while my mom nod her head
understanding, going over to Melody and Logan instead.

"You came ?" I said surprised.

"What did you expect? You're still a very big part of my life Amaya even if things didn't work out between us romantically. " he said while I could see he meant it. He wasn't the same person I saw last which meant he finally got some healing himself and was ready to move on too.

"I know ... it's just, I thought I lost you for good. "

"You can never lose me Amaya even if you tried. You have always been and forever will be my best friend in the world."

" And you're mine Shawn. "I said with a smile,  giving him a hug.

"You should probably get back to your family. I just wanted to say congratulations. "He said with a smile.

"Thanks. And for coming too. Means a lot to me. "

"Any time Blondie. See you around. " he said with a smile while he walked off and I rejoined my family.

"What was Shawn doing here ?" Mom asked curious while he walked off.

"Just wanted to say congrats. " I said with a smile , turning to a beaming Melody and Logan.

"Let's go grab some dinner. What do you say gang ?" Dad said while everyone agreed and cheered.  This , might've been the best day ever after all.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!?!?!?!?! 🎄🎄🎄 And now that , that's out of the way. What did you think of the chapter? Slight disclaimer , we don't have graduation ceremonies where I'm from so I'm not sure how it works etc. But I wrote it from my experience in watching HSM (silly I know ) but it's whatever. Thank you so much for reading. Remember to leave your thoughts in the comment section below. Until next time, keep howling my wolves ❤🐺

And a very merry Christmas to you and your family 🎄