003

My fingers were aching from all the braiding I had to do tonight

My fingers were aching from all the braiding I had to do tonight. I wasn't going to complain, I made a natural two hundred dollars today, and I ain't have to answer to nobody. I wish my momma understood that this is what I wanted to do with my life. I do shit on my own time.

Me being her only child, she wanted me to go to college like she did. I made the right grades, had perfect attendance, and I stayed out of trouble. I'm months away from earning my high school diploma, but that's not enough for her.

If daddy didn't have a say so, I'd be graduating and going to Texas Southern University for the next four years. But we've talked and agreed that what I do with my life after graduation is my choice. And I wanted to go ahead and start cosmetology school so I could get a beautician license and have my own salon.

"You got all these cute ass clothes," Niecey gasped, running her fingers through the outfits in my closet. I did her hair in some thicker box braids like she asked, and they turned out to be perfect. She had the top half in a ponytail while the rest fell down her back.

I told her she could get dressed here before her date, and I could tell she was happy about meeting up with Carlos. They'd been crushing on each other since I could remember, and now they're finally testing out the waters.

"Get dressed and get out my closet," I shook my head, and she shut the door behind her.

"What we doing tonight?" Colbie licked his lips and ran his hand up and down my back. His hands were smooth, and when he rubbed on me, it made me relax.

"You not even supposed to be here," I laughed, swinging my feet back and forth on the bed, turning to face him. Colbie just wore a smug look on his face making me roll my eyes.

And even though both of our parents were very familiar with each other, he still wasn't allowed over without permission. He was apart of the family, but my parents noticed we were getting closer than usual and tried to set up barriers. And that only made me sneakier.

Colbie and I grew up together; I'd see him almost every day as a kid. Me being the shy kid that I was, I wasn't interested in making friends at the time. I just liked being in my own little world and distanced myself from other kids. Momma and daddy thought it was weird that I was six and still didn't have a friend to my name, so they forced Dalan and Tasia's kid to play with me when they came over.

He was everything I wasn't outgoing, revolting, and was a boy. We had nothing in common, and I hated when he came to my room; he would destroy everything I owned. One day I just completely lost it and punched him for touching my things. He got mad and hit me back, so we only really fought the whole time until our parents found us crying and broke up the altercation.

But after that day we finally got along, and I didn't have any problems out of him. And that's when we got older, spent every moment together. We also attended the same high school, and most days, he'd pick me up and take me to school.