NINETEEN

*THE ONE WHERE SHE SAYS YES*

It was her 30th birthday. She didn't want anything grand. Just a simple dinner with her family would have sufficed.

But when she got home from work, she was a little surprised to find nobody home. Instead, she found a note by the door knob.

Happy birthday, Mahal ko. Marami pang notes na kasunod. Humor me, please? Open the door. My first surprise awaits you.

"Hay nako Franco. Ano na namang pakulo ito?"

So she reached for the door and opened it. Mayang was surprised to see petals of red roses all over the place and some electric candles all around the house. Softly, a string quartet rendition of Imagine You and Me plays as background. She found the next note by the staircase.

Imagine You and Me ang unang movie na pinanood natin ng magkasama. Pinapaliwanag mo pa sa'kin noon kung bakit umiiyak si Gara at kung bakit parang naghiwalay sila. Pero did you ever Imagine You and Me, together eternally? 😉 Go to your room, mahal ko. I got something for you.

Sweet sweet nya talaga. Haaay. Nasa kwarto ka lang pala. Dami mo pang nalalamang ganito.

She almost ran to her room expecting him to be there. However, she found a bouquet of her favorites sitting by the edge of the bed. And again, it has a note.

Mayang ng buhay ko, hanapin mo ang dalawang pulang kahon sa ilalim ng kama mo. Sana magustuhan mo.

She looked under her bed and found two boxes. One is unmistakably a shoebox, while the other is just a rectangular box. She decided to open the other. She was surprised to find a yellow dress and a note that tells her to wear it. She then opened the shoebox and found a high-heeled sandals and a note, saying,

Alam kong maganda ka na, pero dahil espesyal ang araw na ito, isuot mo ito. Sana magustuhan mo. Tiyak na bagay sa'yo ito. Kahit wag ka nang mag make up, maganda ka na. Mahal kita. Text mo ko kapag bihis ka na, ok? Tapos labas ka ng bahay nyo. Excited na 'ko.

She wore the dress and the shoes, excited for whatever's in store for her. She dabbed a light makeup to highlight her looks then texted him right away.

Just as she stepped outside her house, a black sedan pulled up in front of her.

"Good evening, Ma'am, and Happy birthday. I will take you some place special tonight. Ready?"

"As I'll ever be."

She went inside the car, a bit nervous and excited both at the same time. She texted Franco that she's on her way but he wasn't replying anymore. A few minutes later, the sedan pulled up in front of an events place in Timog.

"We're here, Ma'am. Happy birthday, once again, and I hope you enjoy the night."

"Thanks."

"Oh, by the way, here's a note from Sir Franco." The driver handed her a note.

Mahal ko, naaalala mo 'tong lugar na 'to? Diba may pinuntahan tayong birthday ng anak ng isa mong co-teacher tapos manghang mangha ka sa lugar? Sabi mo pangarap mo noong bata ka na makapag birthday party sa ganitong lugar. Kung handa ka na, sundan mo lang ang mga kandila sa sahig. See you, Mahal ko!

Her cheeks were already damp with tears when she reached the doorway. Before she even stretched out her hands to reach for the door, it already opened and she saw faces of family and friends inside the venue, all of them clapping and greeting her and telling her she's beautiful and saying happy birthday.

She smiled because she was happy, but she was crying because she's too happy.

"Ano ba to? Hahaha. Franco! Nasan ka na?"