III - The Conclave of Magic

At that time, frogs were perceived as bad omens related to death. Their apparition was linked to the underworld.

Juan was gradually getting more frightened by the development of the latest occurrences. He looked at the wolf and said, "What is going on? Why you are calling out your friends? Are you having the feeling that something bad is about to happen? I have never seen you alerting your pack this way before..."

The old wizard had the ability to communicate with beasts. He felt that his friend was getting ready for something big.

"Damn it! I wish I had my sword with me..."

Juan recalled the time when he abandoned magic upon his return from prison. His soul carried a feeling of guilt. Had Juan ran away with his family instead of fighting for the humans, they could probably still be alive. Magic had only brought him pain, and he was a devastated man for the rest of his life. Juan had become inert as a rock, and his only companions were the solitude in which he lived, and the animals, friends that encouraged him to carry on with his life. In that moment, he regretted deeply having thrown his sword from the top of a nearby waterfall, losing the object in the river depths in a moment of absolute despair.

Juan decided to have a look at the waters of his magic caldron in order to see what was going on outside the cave. That way, he would end that torment once and for all.

Far away from the cave, in the Dark Forest, Agathor, the Wizard King, was leading a conclave of magic summoned to discuss ways to fight the Inquisition. The wizard community could not be on the run forever while their families were slaughtered in the name of a controversial faith.

When Agathor heard the cry of his son, he interrupted his speech and asked his wife, "My love, would you please take a look at our little Philip and see that he stops crying? Maybe he needs to be breastfed to calm down."

Elheonora, the Sorceress Queen, asked his husband as well as the wizards' permission to leave the council for some time, and left to watch the baby.

Philip's cry was breaking the forest's silence. His mother came up closer and hugged him, covering the little one with a soft mantle made of rabbit's fur.

Elheonora was a gorgeous woman. Her blond curly hair made her desirable to every man that would put their eyes on her. Her rosy lips and hazel eyes had the power to mesmerize. Anyone who laid eyes on her would stop for a moment to consider the possibility of her existence. Her smooth and seductive voice was pure magic, and her kindness could make anyone obey even her smallest requests.

But not everyone stared at her with respect. Klaus, the sorcerer of the Basnet clan, looked at her as she stood up. For a moment, he desired the wife of the wizards' leader, as well as his powerful staff.

As she was checking the baby, Agathor completed his speech lifting his staff and calling all the wizards on. "We shall fight against those bastard inquisitors! Hail magic! Shall it live forever!"

The crowd brandished their weapons. A war was about to begin.

_______________________________