VI - The Legend

Amid the chaos of the discussions, which became increasingly intense, Tyrone looked at each of the conclave's member and said:

"There's only one man with enough power to face the inquisitors: the wizard Juan Otts."

"Isn't he dead?" Someone asked.

"Not at all. Some say that he lives secluded since the last battle he fought against the Inquisition forces. When he saw himself surrounded by soldiers who wanted to arrest him and burn his village, he created a swirl that left behind a trail of destruction, destroying all his enemies. However, this action left him so weak that he was not able to prevent his wife and children from being killed after getting caught by a task force that arrived moments later, attracted by the chaos of the battle," Tyrone answered, pursuing his lips in sadness.

Some members of the meeting were surprised by the tragic story. Others were skeptical that someone with such power could exist.

"With teary eyes, he said farewell to his beloved ones, whose lifeless bodies laid inert in the flames heat, while the soldiers' shackles held him," Tyrone continued. "At that moment, Juan's soul died, and only the desire for revenge kept him on his feet. Some say that he escaped prison and now he lives hidden in the mountains."

"How did he manage to escape?" Evelyn asked, with curiosity.

"He waited patiently for the day of his death in the pyre at the public plaza, and when the soldiers came to fetch him, so his execution would serve as an example, he cast a powerful possession spell to dominate the mind of one of the soldiers, and made him attack his companions. There was a great disorder, and Juan took the chance to escape. After that, no one has ever heard of him again." Thrilled, Tyrone finished the story.

"I think this is a lost cause. Maybe he is dead. Some say that the wizard lives in the mountains as a hermit, and that region is full of wild wolves. It's no use putting our hopes on him. Since I have noticed that most of you are in favor of the war, then we must unite and put together a task force of wizards to reach the inquisitors and defeat them all before they spread terror all over the world," Agathor said, feeling beaten. He looked at his wife with sadness, as he knew that once he was at the heat of the battlefield, he would be far away from her and their son.

The matter was settled. The wizards would all go into battle against the inquisitors. Also, they would plant some members among their enemies in order to get information about their plans. No one said a word after the inevitable and gloomy decision, thinking about the hard times ahead of them. The Chief of the Wizards was about to conclude the meeting when a man stood up once again and broke the silence, calling everyone's attention to his decrepit figure.

"Does anyone know where is the powerful wizard? Or on which mountain is he building his grave?" Klaus asked, with curiosity in his eyes. "Once I was told that his power came from the Book of Souls, the same one that was written by the most powerful ancient wizards, and which keeps the knowledge of every century of human existence. It is said that the one who possesses that book will be the most powerful man in the world!" His eyes flickered with greed. "This book shows how to weave a spell of immortality. Can you imagine how it would be like to live forever?"

Tyrone looked at him suspiciously and asked:

"Why are you so interested in this, Klaus? Do you by any chance wish to become immortal? You already want war, now the book, what next?"

Klaus didn't answer Tyrone. Instead, he turned to the conclave's chief, who said:

"Juan is missing. Maybe he has died devoured by wolves. If he were alive, we would know... Such a powerful wizard would emanate waves of energy, allowing us to find out his location. I would be able to feel his presence miles away..." The King of the Wizards hesitated before he concluded his argument. "However, I must admit that the book would be an interesting acquisition to help us in this battle. At the same time, it could also destroy us in case it fell into the wrong hands. It is better that it has gone missing along with the old wizard," Agathor ended the discussion.

Putting on a fake smile, Klaus agreed. However, he thought to himself:

"If I manage to get my hands on that book, I will be able to summon up powers that would make me the most powerful man in the world. Wouldn't it be wonderful to live forever possessing all Humankind's knowledge? I could even rule over it. I must find out where the Book of Souls is!"

_______________________________

Also read #TheDeathMoon by #ChaieneSantos