XXIII - The Warrior Prince

In the palace, the wheel of time turned as well, unmercifully. Away from magic, curses and death, Philip grew up learning the knowledge of humankind. At the same time, he felt himself different from the other boys. Since childhood, he had the ability to see the spiritual world, the creatures of the night and the spirits' temptations. He heard voices, talked to the animals, and foresaw the future. He didn't tell it to anybody, for he didn't want to be seen as a lunatic or a witchcraft practitioner. As he felt different from the others, the boy longed for someone who could explain the mysteries that surrounded him. He was tired of being the only one around to bear that gift. Thus, long before that time, when he was still a boy, he told everything that had been happening to him to his mother, Queen Mariele.

"Mother, I need to say something to you," he said, with trembling lips and full of fear.

They were alone in the royal chamber.

"Tell me, my son." She gazed at him before she asked, "Why are you so upset? I am your mother, I'm here to help you."

The Queen held him in her arms.

"I think I'm different from the other boys. I hear voices in my head. When I seek where they come from, shadows pass by me, and they tell me that they are spirits of people who are already dead..."

Although astonished and speechless, his mother kept on listening.

"I can understand what the animals want to say and, sometimes, I foresee the things that are going to happen in future. And that's not all. Whenever evil spirits tempt people, I can also see them and hear them. I want to fight them to prevent them from doing people any harm."

Without words, Mariele gathered courage before she finally said:

"My dear son, I beg you, do not tell these things to anybody. This secret must be kept between us, and only us. Not even your father, the King, is supposed to know about it."

"Do you think I should tell it to the priest?" He asked, innocently.

"No, for God's sake, don't do it! If you have this gift, it must be for a reason. However, I fear that they will accuse you of witchery. Although you are the prince, the laws in our country are quite strict, and people would never forgive us if we failed to follow them. Always tell me what's on your mind, so that I'll be your confidant. From now on, this is our secret."

Philip had found someone who he could trust to expose his worries. His confidant would protect him from people's prejudice, and help him keep his gift a secret. Otherwise, he would be punished with death by fire.

The years went by, and the young man began to learn how to fight like a warrior. His father, King Albert, designated his best knights, archers, and swordsmen to teach Philip the art of war. The boy was raised learning the art of combat, and now he had completed 20 years of life. He already knew how to handle a sword, ride a horse skillfully and handle the bow and arrow. He was continuously training to make sure that he would be prepared to defend his kingdom if necessary. One day, Philip fought against two elite soldiers from the King's guard, and defeated both by using his sword.

"Well done, my son! I see that you have learned fast how to handle a nice blade. Be a good warrior and use your sword for the good," the King said, proudly clapping his hands.

Whenever Philip needed some time away from his duties and responsibilities as a prince, he enjoyed an afternoon ride, when he would cross the kingdom with his horse, Specter, and get into the woods. He would go to the creeks and take a dip in the waters. Even though he had his days fully scheduled with appointments and trainings, which he complied gracefully, he had an urgency to ride to the forest everyday. Once he was there, he could be just a young man surrounded by nature's elements. He barely knew that natural magic was calling him.