XXXIV - The Rescue

Before they had the chance to plan how to get inside the fortress, the gates to the Castle of the Absents opened to them. The sound of wood creaking broke the night's silence. The boy and the mage looked at each other. In silent mutual consent, they stepped into the place. The door closed behind them, and they were led to the most sinister place they had ever been to in their entire lives. It seemed empty.

The old windows' curtains, made of beige lace, waved gently, bringing in a cold wind that touched their skins. Philip saw candlesticks on the walls and on the sideboards, but they seemed not to illuminate the place properly. The young man went to the window and opened the curtains to see if he could get that gloomy place illuminated by the light of the Moon. However, the only thing he could see was the shadows of the trees and their dry branches near the main gate.

He looked around in order to find something other than spiders' webs and dirt. There was something strange in the air, but he could not put his finger on it. He felt a chill taking over his body. Then, he heard Juan speaking with a low voice, as if he had read his thoughts.

"Don't panic. Soon they will be here. They already know we have arrived. They are eager to meet us."

Right after the mage had spoken those words, he felt the dark creature's presence, with its red eyes prying in the darkness from the other side of the hall. Before Juan could show to Philip the malevolent presence, a loud laugh echoed around the place.

"Yes, I already know you're here!" Klaus said. "I know many things, you old liar. Were you not taught by your parents that it's not good to fool others, Juan? Well, in case you have ever been one..." Another loud laugh echoed. "I even know who Philip's parents are! You can't imagine how I rejoiced at learning it! I could hardly wait for the moment to kill you both, and then have your powers under my command."

"Where is Verena?" The prince asked.

"Don't worry, young man. She is not dead... Yet."

The boy, taken by anger, unsheathed his sword immediately and grabbed its handle with both hands, ready to attack whoever his enemies were. His eyes changed from their usual green color to an intense orange shade, as if flames were coming out from them. He was ready to fight.

Klaus climbed down the stairs, floating over the steps. Rays emanated from the palms of his hands, as if there were tiny storms between his fingers. When he reached the last step, the Doppelgänger materialized itself by his master's side. First, the red eyes appeared, like they were floating in the emptiness. Then, its smile came upon, showing its pointed teeth.

"It's so delightful to have you visiting my Castle! My only concern is that you could have showed some manners and knocked on my door instead getting in here uninvited."

"As if you didn't open the door for us. Moreover, since when do we have to ask permission to a criminal?" Juan replied, staring the warlock in the eyes.

"I demand you to release Verena immediately. You had no right to bring her to this filthy place, let alone using her to get leverage. This is pure cowardice, something that could only come from someone with no principles!" Philip shouted, impetuously cutting the small talk.

"If that's an order, Your Majesty, I shall obey it with pleasure, even more now that I have discovered that I am your humble servant, King of the Wizards." The warlock smiled and replied sarcastically. "Don't worry, boy, you'll have her back soon enough. However, since I also have my needs, I demand one thing in return."

"What do you want, you murderer warlock?" Juan asked.

"I want you!"

"Are you crazy?" The mage questioned.