IV - The Absents

Dark Forest, Germania

The forest was dark and full of secrets. Some light came from a millennial grand oak illuminated by the Moon. The guardian of the night was showing herself slowly, dissipating the moving clouds. Amidst the dense foliage lived creatures loathed by men. Even though the creatures' names were unknown, an unexpected shiver in the spine betrayed their presence.

That was the place where magic ruled and manifested itself through nature.

But times were changing. Dark days were on the way. A time when mankind would have their power engaged in the destruction of anything that some men could not understand due to a strange faith that fought against magic to annihilate it. As an effort to find a solution, a meeting was summoned. Wizards, witches, and sorcerers from all over the world were looking for ways to defend themselves from the great persecution started by the inquisitors, known as The Witch Hunt.

In that dark spot, people started to arrive, silently making their way into the forest clearing. The meeting was taking place in the denser area with dark shades of green and full of giant trees. The area was a valley surrounded by mountains, with a waterfall originated by a river that provided energy to the magical members of the conclave. They needed nature's elements to sustain their vitality: water, fire, earth, and air. Everyone was so anxious due to future events that even the birds did not chirp. There had never been a meeting so desperate and sad like that one before.

Before the persecution, sorcerers were respected by the kings, who kept them by their sides as important counselors. Witches worked as midwives and healers, and people often consulted them regarding ointment recipes, medicines, and solutions for a wide range of problems. As soon as the persecution started, it all changed.

All of them were kicked out of the courts and became fugitives. The watchword was fear... Fear of being wiped out, fear of having their families slaughtered. Innocents died consequently, including pregnant women. Many mothers left their offspring orphans. Those children wept because they had been left to their own luck.

Considering that scenario, the Council Chairman, the great Agathor Reinecker, known as the King of the Wizards, decided to arrange a meeting in the forest and summoned all the magic clans' chiefs from all over Europe. Agathor looked at his wife and said, "Please, light up a fire and start the arrangements for the meeting."

Promptly, Elheonora did what she was asked to. She put the embers in the middle of the circle in such a way that the incandescent light attracted the eyes of many who were seeking for revelations. After that, she sprinkled myrrh in order to perfume the place and to provide peace and spiritual tranquility during the decision-making process.

The silent night cuddled each participant of the conclave in an icy hug. The cutting breeze murmured throughout the Bohemian Forest and mountains words of enchantment as old as time itself. The fire that illuminated the center of the convention caused everyone's shadows to shimmer.

Torches were placed in a circle around the congregation. Two owls watchfully observed all the details, with their claws nailed into the branches of the great oak.

The Moon, at long last, turned out majestically, and illuminated the paths that led to the Dark Forest as well as every present member that had been summoned the meeting.

There were the Bergues, from France and others Germanic regions. They were commanded by very mind behind that meeting, Agathor himself.

His white hair descended along his face, framing it down to the point that it reached his grey beard. He was widely respected for he had achieved the highest degree amongst all wizards in Europe. His attire was white and he wore a long mantle that touched his feet. He was holding a big staff with a shining red stone on its tip that reflected the poor light of the night.