IX - The Ambush

The warlock's wicked plans were finally on action. Not far from there, the silence was broken by the sound of trots produced by the Inquisition's horses. A legion of soldiers was getting closer, thanks to the map provided by Klaus himself. Two inquisitors were in the command of the troop, armed to the teeth with arrows, bows and swords. They also had brought jail wagons to arrest the heretic wizards that would survive. They would go on trial in order to serve as an example. But if it depended on Klaus, there would be no survivors.

In the Dark Forest, the conclave's members were planning the ways the magical society would use to fight against the enemy, not imagining that, meanwhile, they were impetuously marching to their direction to annihilate them.

Agathor looked at the Moon; she seemed red like blood. He felt a shiver, and heard voices and murmurs coming from the forest. As if foreseeing that something was about to happen, he prepared the meeting to its wrap-up. They would disassemble the camping site and disband. It wasn't safe to stay there for much longer.

Klaus noticed that the conclave was ending and it would take longer for his army to arrive. He needed to buy time in order to delay the conclave's wrapping up. For this reason, he asked the crow to fly over the region to check the troop's exact position. That way, he would be able to estimate the necessary time until the army's arrival. As soon as the bird departed, he decided to ask for the floor.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to introduce one more point to be discussed..."

"There's nothing left to be discussed, Klaus," said Agathor. "Something tells me that it's about time to end this meeting."

"We do have something to discuss, King of the Wizards! I'd like to contribute with the creation of a task-force to go after the inquisitors. I have been informed that their operation center is in Italy. Some of my spies know exactly where to find them. If we get rid of them, we'll increase our chances of survival."

Agathor decided to give him a chance, and listened. Nevertheless, the meeting would have to end immediately after.

"And who do you suggest to join you in this mission?" Tyrone asked.

"I believe the Basnets are perfectly able to take care of it. We have plenty of trustworthy wizards. You could be the head of the mission, since you are the clan's leader."

Tyrone kept on staring at him suspiciously. He had no doubt that Klaus' decrepit look had something to do with some kind of abominable practice of evil magic. Unfortunately, he had not found any decisive evidence so far. As a matter of fact, the liar claimed that to be a victim of a spell cast by the dark warlocks.

At that moment, two birds crossed ways up in the sky as they were flying over the army. They both were quite similar, but had different purposes as they glided high over the mountains. The eagle watched the movement of the troops marching towards the wizards, and then returned to the cave to report that to Juan. The crow, instead, took note of the religious army's position, then landed on Klaus' shoulder to inform him how near they were.

Inside the cave, Juan received the information, and thanked the eagle.

"Thank you, Air Hunter. I'm frightened by the news. The wizards won't stand a chance. I feel the presence of evil magic hovering over their heads. There must be a traitor among them, probably the warlock with the grayish aura. I need to act fast to save that child..." He thought for a moment before he came to a decision. "I have to ride to the meeting site. If I weave a spell of physical displacement, the magic may attract the attention of a sorcerer attending the meeting and everything could be lost."

Then, he asked his friends:

"Air Hunter, Queen of Wisdom, fetch me a horse. I need a mount to get in and out of there as fast as possible."