XV - The Rebirth

When Juan thought of King Albert as an option, he wasn't aware of the fact that within the palace walls a child was to be born. The royal midwives were getting things done in order to be ready to assist the Queen as soon as she went into labor. That had been a difficult pregnancy, but finally a baby would be born by the evening. Queen Mariele's contractions had started. Her cries could be heard everywhere in the court, and people were praying all around the palace, asking for a healthy and alive baby this time, otherwise the King would lose his mind. Everyone knew that that was a high-risk pregnancy, so they kept vigil anxiously.

Meanwhile, in that very evening, the mage was taking a bath in the Dark Forest's creek. When he was finished, he got out of the it, put his clothes on, and then felt some kind of uneasiness on the water's surface. He tried to move away, but he lost his balance and almost fell. At that moment, the river's waters started to increase its volume continuously, and to shape itself, causing great astonishment in him. A crystalline image formed before him. It was the figure of a woman who called out for him:

"Juan Otts!" The woman whispered, as if her voice bubbled, "I am Elheonora, mother of the boy you have saved from the devilish hands of Klaus, the warlock. He has a great thirst for power, and he will come after you, now that he knows that you own the Book of Souls. A horrible creature, native from the deepest darkness, assists him. I ask you to take care of my son. I know that you still grief over the loss of your family, and you have all the reasons to feel that way, but I beg you to protect the child as if he was yours. Dedicate to him the last years of your life; look after him carefully, for love is the greatest legacy that one can receive from life. We have brought love to the world we're at, and we're sharing it with your family; they are fine. I guarantee you that, for me and Agathor are taking care of them. As to Philip, I know that your intuition has led you to choose King Albert as his human protector. I couldn't agree with you more. However, time runs faster that the waters of this river, and if you take too long, you run the risk of losing the perfect opportunity. Queen Mariele is about to give birth to a child. But her womb has been cursed by the gods. The baby won't survive. I ask you to be there at the exact time of the birth to swap the children. This is of utmost importance, not only for the sake of my son, but also to prevent a great misfortune over the kingdom." Juan's eyes widened due to that astonishing revelation.

Would he lose the opportunity? Convinced of the importance of his mission and willing to help her, he answered:

"May you go in peace, Sorceress Queen. I'll give my own blood, if necessary, to mentor and to teach your son to be a great warrior wizard," he said, with his head down, out of respect to that evolved spirit. "I am deeply grateful that you are taking care of my family. Please let them know that I'll always love them."

Elheonora's spirit flew back into the river like a waterfall, and disappeared leaving no trace behind. Something whispered in the mage's ear, telling him not to waste time, and then the forest fell into silence again.

"I've got to do something right now!"

Juan got out of the water and fixed himself as much as possible. He took Philip, wrapped him up in the rabbit fur mantle, prepared a body displacement incantation and left...

He crossed the portal he created, and reached the Queen's chambers at the exact time that she was giving birth to the baby. Three midwives had lowered down in front of Queen Mariele, who screamed amidst the sheets covered in blood.

Juan stretched his arm and became invisible, surrounded by a blue light that resembled an aura. The Queen was having more contractions. The midwives asked her to put more force to push the baby out.

"Oh, my dear God! It hurts so much..."

"Push," said the midwife in charge.

The Queen shouted in pain, while another woman covered her forehead with towels soaked in warm water, trying to ease the pain, unsuccessfully. The child's head was finally out of the womb, wet in hot liquid. A few minutes later, the baby was born. One of the midwives cut off its umbilical cord, but something went wrong, since only a silence of hope filled the chamber. Where was the baby's cry?