X - The Escape

The enemies seemed like ants, their number increasing by the minute. At a certain moment, the mages, wounded and weary, began to think that they would lose the battle. It was then that howls echoed through the forest, followed by brilliant eyes shining in the dark. Dark Moon's pack of wolves had just arrived.

The wizards, that were fighting against the soldiers, sensed that the beasts were on their side, since they were also attacking their opponents. They believed that it was some sort of spell conjured by an ally sorcerer. The wolves' powerful jaws ripped apart the soldiers' flesh, amidst growls and screams. Some got scared with the view of those huge animals gritting their teeth, and ran away right on. Others tried to fight them, but it was all in vain.

The inquisitors kept themselves impassive. They cowardly watched the battle from afar, because they were afraid of getting into the fight. Their only aim was to reap the fruits that came from it. Mounted on their horses in a safe distance from the battle, they wore black masks that covered their faces, to prevent them from being recognized by the enemies.

When the pack showed up, they got scared. Nevertheless, they had faith in God's weapons as well as in the army's.

Juan mounted on his white stallion. He was holding the baby in his arms, wrapped in a rabbit fur blanket. He galloped away, not looking back. If he stayed to fight, he would risk the little one's life. He had already made this mistake in the past, and he would not do it again. At that moment, the child was his priority. In case something happened to that boy, everything would be lost.

Klaus didn't abandon the battle field. He fought the wizards furiously and with cold blood. Upon seeing Elheonora's body in a pool of blood, he thought:

"The death of this beautiful woman is such a waste. After eliminating her husband, I would surely make her my wife. But that doesn't matter, I will have other women as gorgeous as her once I become the most powerful warlock in the world."

Then, he gave her a last hit on her chest with his sword, thrusting it on the body. He felt an exquisite pleasure by doing that, as if he also took part on her death.

As soon as Tyrone spotted Klaus grinning victoriously before the witch's inert body, he took up a sword on the ground near a defeated soldier and laid into him.

"Die, you traitor!"

The wicked warlock defended himself from the attack. Then, he opened his hand and threw a powder on Tyrone's eyes, blinding him. Klaus took the chance to thrust the sword through his abdomen, murdering him. The wizard smiled with pleasure as he saw his opponent had ceased breathing.

"I didn't like you, anyway. I'll be the new leader of the clan! After that, I will kill them all, one by one," Klaus narrowed his eyes as he revealed his intention.

What no one knew was that Klaus had received a gift from the darkness: he could absorb the magical energy that emerged from the sorcerers that he or his Doppelgänger killed. After annihilating his victims, he would put his palms on their chests on the area of the heart and drain their energy. Thus, he was getting more and more powerful.

In the heat of the battle, Agathor was saved several times by Dark Moon, which attacked the soldiers with its sharp fangs. However, as soon as he saw Elheonora being murdered just a few feet from him, he was cast down. The world had ripped from him the very thing that he loved the most.

Tormented by pain, he fell on his knees, while Dark Moon protected him. Tears streamed down from his eyes as he thought about his son, Philip, who needed him. That seemed to give him newfound strength. The wolves tried to fight the Doppelgänger furiously, but the creature seemed to be made of mist.