chapter 10

POV: Infinite
I arrived at the Death Egg after hours looking for those stupid prototypes. The device the Doctor gave to me was shit, it didn't work properly. Luckily for me, the prototypes reacted to the Phantom Ruby when they were close enough.

"Infinite, you're back." Eggman said as I entered the room. I tossed him the bag with the prototypes inside before noticing Sonic in the corner. He lay there, panting heavily and shaking. The boy looked totally exhausted.

"What did you do to him?" I asked and crossed my arms.

"I let him run around and if he went too slow," Eggman held up a remote and pressed a button, making Sonic scream in pain.

"He got electrocuted." I finished his sentence.

"You can bring him back now. He's no use to me at the moment." Eggman focused back on the screen and began typing on the computer. I nodded and walked over to Sonic and picked him up.

"I will be taking my leave then." I held Sonic close and felt him hold onto me.

"Yea yea whatever." Eggman mumbled. I left the room and made my way to Sonic's cell. The only sounds I heard were my shoes hitting the floor and Sonic's whimpering. He passed out before we even got to his cell. I laid him down on the bed to let him rest. I decided to leave him alone for now and come back later.

———

POV: Sonic
I was alone. No Infinite or Eggman who wanted nothing but to torture me. Before all this, I didn't like being alone but now, now I wanted nothing more than to be alone. When I thought I finally was on my own, I was proven wrong.

"Metal." I glared at him as he stood there, watching me from behind the bars. But something was off, very off. I didn't feel a connection between us like usual. He didn't do anything except for looking at me. Eventually, after a while of us staring at each other, he walked off. I raised a brow at his odd behavior but decided to shrug it off.

'There can only be one Sonic!'

I heard Metal's voice in my head. Metal came flying into view. When he hit the floor, he turned into red cubes before disappearing.

"What the hell?!"

Another Metal came in view. I had no idea what was going on. He looked at where the other one had disappeared. I could sense a connection between us.

"Metal?" I got up and walked closer to the bars. He turned to look at me. "You're real, right?" I asked and he gave a small nod. "So the other was... fake?"

'Copy made untechnical by Infinite.'

"What do you mean by that?" I asked.

'Untechnical copying from robots and Mobians, Infinite's doing.'

"I'm so confused right now." I rubbed my face.

'Need to stop copies. There can only be one Sonic.'

I got an idea. An idea that, if it worked, could get me out of here.

"Metal, if you free me I can help you fight against these fakers." It seemed as if I got his interest. "After that, we can fight to prove who is the real Sonic." I suggested. Metal took ahold of two bars and pushed them apart with a lot of force. They broke, turned into red cubes, before disappearing. I squeezed myself through the small opening. As soon as I got out, I felt freedom.

POV: 3rd person
Sonic and Metal walked through the Death Egg. Sonic was leaning on Metal, still being tired from running around. Normally he wouldn't get tired of it, but the pain and tiredness he felt made it hard for him. Metal stopped walking which made Sonic look up. There was another creation of Infinite in front of them.

"I will take care of this one." Sonic pushed himself away from Metal and took a step closer to the fake one. He jumped and curled up, began to spin midair, and threw himself at the copy. The copy disappeared, after turning into cubes, as Sonic went right through it. Sonic uncurled himself and fell to his knees, panting from exhaustion. Metal helped him get up. He knew he needed Sonic's help. He already got dismantled by his copies once and he didn't want that to happen again since the Doctor wouldn't put him together again.

"Impressive, you managed to escape with the little energy you had." Sonic's ears perked up after hearing that voice. Infinite had found them.