chapter 23

POV: 3rd person
I didn't take long before Sonic was healed. But before he was able to fight again he had to train. Knuckles had no problem with helping his friend to get his strength and combat skills back. It was Shadow who didn't want to cooperate, but he was the only one who could help Sonic with his speed. It took a lot of pleading from Sonic but he got Shadow to help him. Shadow really didn't want to but he knew they needed Sonic to make an end to this battle. Sonic was able to pick up everything quickly and was back to normal in no time. Now that he could fight again, he joined the Resistance to fight against Dr. Eggman. They were taking a lot of ground back, almost the whole world, in a matter of days.

"We only have an hour left before Eggman will reveal his o so great plan. I'm not planning on waiting for him to show it. Whatever it is, we need to stop it. And right now." Sonic said to the group which had gathered in the main room. "So who's coming with me?"

———

"Infinite!" Sonic growled after he had found the masked villain. The rest of Resistance was fighting off the clones Infinite had created while he dealt with Infinite himself.

"Pathetic little hedgehog. Even with the Phantom Ruby weakened, I can still beat you." Infinite said and fixed his mask. He acted like he hated the blue hero. He did that so it didn't seem like he was going to take him back as soon as the others were defeated.

"We will see about that!" Sonic said went after the masked villain. Infinite thought the fight was going to be over in a matter of seconds but was proven wrong once he saw Sonic's strength. Sonic's hits were powerful, more powerful than he had thought. It wasn't getting easier when Gadget joined the fight as well. Within fifteen hits, he was defeated. His body was glitching and soon he turned into nothing but a ball of energy and disappeared into the robot Dr. Eggman had speared for the last fight. It was easily destroyed by Sonic, Classic Sonic, and Gadget.

It was over. The battle had ended after it broke loose months ago. Now all there was left to do was to rebuild the society in which Dr. Eggman had left a lot of damage.

Sonic went his own way after the battle had ended. He needed some time off. No one blamed him. After what he had been through, he deserved some time on his own. Sonic spent most of his time running around to get everything off his mind. He was back at the headquarters of the Resistance after a few weeks. As soon as he got back, he helped the others with as much as he could.

It took months, years, before the world was restored. In that time Dr. Eggman hadn't attacked much. There had only been a few small attacks, nothing Sonic couldn't handle on his own. Now that everything was as it was before, Sonic had one thing left to do. He went back to the Death Egg which had been abandoned. A certain person wouldn't leave his mind. He didn't expect he would just forget about him. What Infinite had done to him had scarred him, literally and figuratively. He still had the claim marks of Infinite on his body so he was still his, and it would always stay that way. It felt as if there was an emptiness in him now that Infinite was gone.

"There you are." Sonic said once he noticed Infinite's old mask. He picked it up and held it in front of him. He sighed and lowered his ears. This was the only thing he had left of his so-called mate. He took the mask with him back home, hoping it would fill the void that his stupid mind had created. He placed the mask on his nightstand and didn't do more with it. Whenever one of his friends asked why it was there, he replied with saying that it was to remind him what he went through and survived.

"Sonic! Eggman is attacking again!" Tails burst into the blue hero's room. Sonic shot awake from his nap. He hopped out of bed and glanced back at the mask on his nightstand before following the two-tailed fox to fight Dr. Eggman once again.

THE END