sᴘᴇᴄɪᴀʟ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 27

"You will come though right?" Donghyuck asked, knowing what the answer would be, but still looked up at Mark expectantly. He wanted to hear the two words, 'of course', because they would definitely calm his nerves and worries, but he knew Mark wouldn't be able to say them.

Instead of replying, Mark pulled his chin away from his guitar, looking a little surprised by the sudden question, but then quickly replaced it with a warm smile, relaying the answer he couldn't say, through it. The small smile on Mark's face was enough to make Donghyuck feel all giddy, but the underlying fear and worry remained. Mark wouldn't be able to be there for their concert, and that should be okay.

But it really wasn't.

Donghyuck held the microphone to his mouth, the cold metal ghosting over his warm lips, and a shudder ran through his body. His eyes darted from the sea of green, quickly stopping when he saw a small yet blurry (although his eyesight was perfectly fine — or maybe Mark's bad eyes were getting to him somehow) figure sitting by a certain area. As much as he wished it would be Mark, the boy who was thousands of miles away from him at the moment, he knew it was some trainees who were much younger than him, waving their lightsticks and following the beat of the song.

The sounds of the fans screaming didn't seem loud for Donghyuck, since his mind was elsewhere. It was kind of selfish, Donghyuck thought, having his mind wander off to some other place, whilst he was supposed to be having the time of his life here, singing along and dancing to songs he'd probably never be able to perform to ever again soon. But he couldn't help it. He couldn't help the other selfish and horrible thoughts he had either, the ones where he wished SuperM didn't exist. 

He wasn't jealous (he was), but he just wanted Mark to be there, right here, sitting in the crowd, most probably wearing that ugly neon green sweater he had bought a few weeks back — in hope to be more brightly dressed — and maybe even that stupid white hat Donghyuck had gotten for him that had a some weird muffins drawn on it. Honestly, he didn't care how ridiculous Mark could've dressed for the occasion, he just wanted him there with him.

But of course, not everything is possible.

Donghyuck finished his line, the lights dimmed and the audience erupted into screams. He felt someone tug him and he followed them into the changing rooms. His shirt was over his head, and another one was getting wrapped around him. He didn't even have enough time to understand what was happening, before Jeno was right in front of him. 

"Hyuck." Jeno said, his voice sounding a little harsh, and Donghyuck immediately straightened his back, worried and confused about what he wanted to talk about. "Where is your mind?"

"Huh?" Donghyuck spluttered, taking his hands away (which he only now realised were enveloped by Jeno's) and trying to step back, in order to gain more space. But just as he did that, Jaemin appeared behind him and wrapped his arms around Donghyuck, forcing him into a backhug, and keeping him on that spot.

"We know you're sad that Mark Hyung couldn't come." Jaemin whispered, his hot breath fanning over Donghyuck's ear, and the shorter squirmed under his grip, hoping he could win this battle of strength, but after a few moments gave up, dropping his head low and sighing loudly. "But come on, it's our last day and we need to stay strong."

The hug lasted a couple of seconds, before some staff rushed in, shooing the kids back up the stage and everything clicked in place. The song started and the dance moves just took over Donghyuck's body. The smile on his face widened as he watched the fans go crazy after Jeno practically tore his shirt off, and then when the song came to an end, indicating they had to go and change their clothes for the second time. It was tiresome, but Donghyuck was basically an expert at it now, since he had been at many concerts (thanks to the neo city tour), and he always had the easiest clothes to slip in.