The Start

Draco's POV-

Draco watched as Hermione rushed around the week of Christmas, getting permission for them to use one of the empty classrooms for Christmas. As she put up a tree and wrapped gifts, he frowned.

"Oh, I need to get you some gifts too..." He stood and rushed out to Hogsmede, quickly getting her some gifts. He managed to get her the last copy of the first edition book Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. He got some wrapping paper and bags then went to his dorm and wrapped them. They were pretty roughly wrapped, and he kept his head down as he took them to the classroom and laid them under the tree. 

"Sorry they look so rough..." he whispered

Hermione had finished the decorations and wrapping, and the room was lit up with Christmas lights. She looked up at him and smiled softly. 

"It's ok, Draco. They look beautiful. Come here tomorrow night after dinner, ok? I want you to participate in one of my family traditions."

"What tradition?" He asked softly.

"My family always opened one gift each on Christmas Eve." Her eyes filled with sadness as she remembered her parents. She knew they were still in Australia, as she'd gone to visit them, pretending to be a tourist. They were quite happy, but didn't remember her. 

"Are you ok?" Draco whispered. 

"Y-yeah... I-i just... don't have a family anymore."

"What do you mean?"

"I-I had to obliviate them to keep them safe during the war."

"Oh, Granger-"

"Why do you keep calling me Granger? We're friends, you can call me Hermione."

"O-ok, Hermione..."

She stood and moved to him, hugging him comfortingly. Draco tensed and didn't make a move to hug her back. He stood there, towering above her as she hugged him around the middle, head laying against his chest. He slowly began to break down, tears silently falling down his face as she held his large muscular form to her body. His body began to shake with soft sobs. She looked up and frowned, laying a hand against his cheek and using her thumb to wipe away his tears. He looked at her weakly and sniffled. She leaned up and framed his face with her hands, rubbing at the tear streaks that stained his pale cheeks. 

"It's ok, sweetheart." She whispered, taking on a soothing voice as she wiped his tears away. After a moment, she leaned up and kissed him to calm him down. He whimpered then gently kissed her back. 

She pulled away and looked at him with a smile. 

"I'm assuming that means you'll be my boyfriend?" she whispered softly.

He hesitated for a long moment.

His head slowly began to nod.

"Yeah, it does..."

She smiled and leaned up to kiss him again. 

-----------

453 words