Chapter. 14: "Return."

~ Y/N's POV ~

I was currently laying on the floor in my cabin's hallway and staring at the ceiling, why? Because, one of my bestfriends, Toby, has been arrested and now he's being bailed out by his mother and I'll probably never see him again.

He was my bestfriend, I even had feelings for him. This situation is so stupid, I wish he could come back..

I closed my eyes and fell asleep on the floor even tho it was only like noon.

~ Toby's POV - Time Skip ~

I've been in prison for officially a day now.

Court just ended and the bail was surprisingly a success! But only because my mom paid a massive amount of money.

The officers gave me my hatchets back (on the condition that I never hurt somebody with them), my matches back, my mouthguard, my goggles and my usual clothes back (with all the bloodstains washed out). After a million years of paperwork, me and my mom left the prison and it was weird.. I was part of society now, I was no longer a reject. I could do whatever normal people do without being arrested.

But.. it didn't feel right.

My mom opened her car and I very hesitantly sat down onto the passenger seat.. man, I hate cars.. they're the reason Lyra is.. gone.

We started driving and I could tell she had a slight fear of cars too, considering she was driving a lot more gently, carefully and slower then most.

We stopped at a fast food restaurant called Burger King, I think I ate here once when I was like 12 or something. We ordered our food and so many people were staring at me with just pure fear, and I'm surprised they still recognized me even tho I was wearing my black turtleneck, jeans and black sneakers because I left my sweater, mouthguard and goggles in the car.

We waited a few minutes for the food while I awkwardly looked around at everybody staring at me, I twitched every now and then which I think only freaked them out more. Finally, our food came and then guy behind us snapped out of his thoughts and ordered his food. My mom grabbed the food and we sat down at a table. We ate our food as mom taught me about being a normal citizen, we laughed every now and then and it was nice having my mom there for me again..

but I still felt like this wasn't right..

For the entire day we went around the city, she showed me all the buildings I should know about, she showed me how to properly use a phone, she taught me everything there was..

it just felt, wrong tho. Like, I shouldn't be here.

I ignored it and brushed it off as me being ungrateful but the thing is, I wasn't ungrateful, infact I was beyond grateful so I don't know why everything feels so wrong.

We walked along an empty sidewalk and the sun was setting,

"Alright.. you've looked sad all day, what's wrong?" My mom asked me in concern

"Oh.. nothing. I'm just a little homesick, that's all.." I sighed as I remembered Slender and the rest of the proxies along with Y/N, the best person in my life.

"Isn't Denver your home?" She asked in confusion

"..barely. Lyra died here, dad abused us here, I was bullied here, I felt so lonely here.. I'd hardly call it a home." I muttered

"I guess that is true.. but if this isn't your home, where was your home? If you're alright with me asking.." she sat on a bench and I sat next to her