Chapter. 20: "What have you Done?"

~ Y/N's POV ~

..I couldn't believe my eyes.

I just watched Toby kill Naomi.

She was my first ever friend.. she showed me what it was like to feel happy when you're with people instead of thinking you're fine alone.. she showed me how to do so many things that I never thought I would do. Even tho she would be an asshole sometimes, she was my first ever friend. I still cared about her like a sister.

Yet, here she was, dying next to tree covered in blood and hatchet wounds. I needed to say something but I couldn't, my voice was gone, I just needed to muster up whatever words first came to mind..

"..Toby?"

He stopped for a second, looked slightly up and saw me. He looked petrified when he did. His face now looked not only looked like it was fueled with insanity but with an immense sorrow too. He stood there staring at me for a few moments as he was in thought. I don't have a single clue what he's thinking about right now. There were panicked voices and frantic footsteps in the distance getting closer and closer each second. Out of nowhere, Toby dropped his hatchet and ran. I was prepared for him to do this so I had a decent amount of energy, rush and adrenaline to chase him even tho he was pretty fast.

I chased him through bushes, trees, and trails while calling after him but he just kept running. People passing seemed concerned but I didn't have time to worry about them at all. The cabin came into view and I knew he was going to lock himself in there so I tried to catch-up but in the end he got in, slammed the door and locked it. I grabbed my keys too quickly and they fell onto the ground so I had to pick them up, only wasting more time. I stuck them into the doorknob and wiggled it around until the door finally unlocked.

I ran down one of the hallways whilst taking quick glances into the other rooms to see if he was there, but he wasn't. So he has to be in the bedroom.

What else could I fucking do?

I went down the hallway and eventually made it to our room. The door was pretty jammed so I had to forcefully open it, and when I did..

I couldn't think.

I couldn't breathe.

He was dead. Hanging from the ceiling.

Toby killed himself, and I blame me.

This can't be happening..

It felt like I was standing there for hours just watching and listening to the slight noises of rope moving ever so slightly. I guess it was just from the shock tho, because I didn't even stand there for 5 seconds, I immediately grabbed my pocketknife and cut the rope from his neck (making sure to help his body not crash onto the floor). Thank god I have reflexes and common sense, or else who knows what I would've done. His lifeless body was now laying on the floor, there was a painful-looking bruise that went all around his neck. I did the only thing I could think of, and that's CPR. I was frantically trying to get him to breathe,

Don't die..

You can't die..!

Eventually, his eyes shot open and he inhaled one big breath, but it wasn't enough. His eyes closed again and he was barely breathing. He was too heavy to pick up and it was obvious I couldn't do anything to help him,

I NEED SOMEBODY'S HELP..

I started calling out for somebody, anybody, to come and help. Everything after that was a painful blur, I don't remember much but Slender appeared and seemed very genuinely sad.

"What have you Done..?" He asked Toby even though he knew he wouldn't get a reply.

He then teleported away with Toby, I assume to the health department. I tried to keep myself together, but I couldn't. I broke down.

What would life be like without him?

~ Time Skip, 2:49 AM // Toby's POV ~

...beeep.. beeeep.. beep.. beep..

my eyes shot open, a chill ran down my spine as my mind flooded with awful memories of hearing a BEEEEEEP noise when Lyra died in the hospital. I sat up immediately and it felt like I was having a panic attack. My throat felt dry and I felt dizzy. I looked to the side and saw medical equipment next to me and noticed that I was in a hospital-looking bed. Suddenly, Nurse Ann entered the room and she looked stunned when she saw me there.

"How are you alive!?? Your heart monitor went into a flatline a minute ago!" Her eyes widened

"Uh.. it's a miracle?" I shrugged

"I've got to go get Slender, wait here and don't do anything!" She scurried out of the room. There was a mirror to the other side of me and I noticed that I had a bruise going all around my neck.

"Damn." I rubbed my eyes and sighed "..I'm still here.. I'm still alive."

I got up slightly and sat on the side of the bed. I didn't feel like thinking about anything, so I didn't. I just sat there, blocked out my own thoughts from my own head and waited. Eventually, Nurse Ann came back in.

"I couldn't find Slender, he's probably out in the forest somewhere.." she sighed "also.." she hesitated,

"..We found out that Naomi was messing with your head into a depressive state. Torture." She looked off the the side "and.. Naomi survived your attack."

• T.B.C •
• words: 1045 •
• for those who don't know about the 'explanation chapter': if you want more info on why updates have been slow and how chapters and taking forever, read the chapter called 'explanation.' I made after Chapter 19.

for those who read the 'explanation chapter': I decided to finish this short draft of chapter 20 because I'd feel like an asshole for leaving this book here to never be updated again. Expect future chapters and thank you for your supportive messages, they really reminded me how much people loved this book and it motivated me to continue posting chapters ! <3 •