Chapter 11: A Double Attack and the Polyjuice Potion

Harry goes up the stairs, still  feeling angry, He goes through the door at the top of the stars and heads down corridor. He was halfway down the corridor, when he trips headlong over something lying on the floor. He turns his head to see what he had tripped over, only to see Justin laying rigid on the floor. His eyes were frozen in shock as if something frightened him. Justin was the only one on the ground.  right Right next to Justin was none other than Sir Nicholas. He was no longer pearly white and transparent. He looked black and smoky, floating and immobilized in the horizontal position. He was floating 6 inches above the floor. His neck was half off and his face had the same expression of shock as Justin. Harry quickly got to his feet, breathing fast and his heart racing. He didn't know whether to go for help or to stay with the bodies. Suddenly, Filch appears and said, "Caught in the act. I'll have you out this time, Harry Snape. Mark my words." Harry said, "No! Mr. Filch! You don't understand....!" But Filch ignores Harry and leaves to find a teacher. Once again, Harry spots spiders moving in a single line as they scurry out of the window. Suddenly, footsteps are heard. Harry turns to find Filch returning with none other than McGonagall, Harry's head of house. McGonagall gasps upon seeing Sir Nicholas and Justin. Harry said, "Professor, I swear I didn't...." McGonagall said, "This is out of my hands, Harry." McGonagall leads Harry to a gargoyle that blocked the way up the stairs. McGonagall said, "Professor Dumbledore will be waiting for you." She faces the gargoyle and said, "Sherbet Lemon." The gargoyle leaps aside, revealing a moving staircase. Harry steps on the staircase as it moves upwards. The staircase stops at the top. Harry steps off of the staircase and goes up to the door with a griffin knocker. Harry knocks and enters Dumbledore's office. The office was circular. There were tables with different instruments on them. Some puffed smoke, while others made whirling noises. There were also portraits of sleeping witches and wizards hanging on the walls. Around Dumbledore's desk were bookshelves full of books. There were stairs on either side of the desk that lead up to the observatory, where a telescope sat. Harry spots the Sorting Hat on top of the bookshelf. The Sorting Hat said, "Bee in your bonnet, Snape?" Harry said, "I was just wondering if you put me in the right house." The Sorting Hat said, "Yes. You were particularly difficult to place, but I stand by what I said last year. You would have done well in Slytherin." Harry said, "You're wrong." The Sorting Hat looks offended as it looks at Harry. Suddenly, Harry hears a sound and turns towards the source of the sound. Next to Dumbledore's chair was a perch and on the perch was an ill looking bird. Some of the red and gold feathers had fallen off. Suddenly, the bird bursts into flames and becomes a pile of ashes. Harry stands there in shock at what he just saw. Dumbledore appears and said, "Harry?" Harry said, "Sir, you're bird, there was nothing I could do. He just caught fire." Dumbledore said, "Oh, it was about time, too. He's been looking dreadful for days. It's a pity that you had to see him on a burning day." Harry looks confused at Dumbledore.

Dumbledore said, "Fawkes is a phoenix, Harry." Dumbledore comes down the stairs as he continues, "They burst into flames when it is time for them to die and then they are reborn from the ashes." He gestures to the pile of ashes, where a baby phoenix pokes his head out of the pile of ashes. Harry looks on in awe. Dumbledore said, "Fascinating creatures, phoenixes. They can carry immensely heavy loads and their tears have healing powers." Suddenly, the door opens and Hagrid comes in. He said, "Professor Dumbledore, sir! Wait! Listen! Professor Dumbledore, sir, it wasn't Harry." Dumbledore said, Hagrid...." But Hagrid continued, "In fact, I'd be prepared to swear it in front of the Ministry of Magic." Dumbledore said more loudly, "Hagrid!" Hagrid stops and looks at Dumbledore. Dumbledore said, "Relax. I do not believe that Harry attacked anyone." Hagrid said, "Of course you don't...." Then stops himself, when he realizes what Dumbledore had said. Hagrid said, "Oh, right. Well, I'll just wait outside then." Dumbledore said, "Yes." Hagrid walks sheepishly out of Dumbledore's office. Harry said, "You don't think it was me, Professor?" Dumbledore said, "No, Harry. I do not think it was you." Harry relaxes as Dumbledore said, "But I must ask you, is there something you wish to tell me?" Harry thinks back to everything that happened since he came to Hogwarts for his 2nd year. He looks back at Dumbledore and said, "No, sir. Nothing." Dumbledore looks over his half-moon spectacles at Harry, then said, "Very well, then. Off you go." Harry leaves Dumbledore's office and heads back to the common room. The double attack on Justin and Sir Nicholas turned what had been nervousness, into real panic. It was Sir Nicholas' fate that seemed to worry the students the most. What could possibly do that to a ghost? What terrible power could harm someone who was already dead? There was almost a stampede to sign their names on the list, so that they could go home for Christmas. Ron said, "At this rate, we'll be the only ones left. Well, us, Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle. What a jolly holiday this is going to be." Harry, however, was glad that most of the people were leaving. He was tired of people skirting around him in the corridors. He was tired of all the muttering, pointing and hissing they did as he passed them. Fred and George's antics made Harry feel better, but it irritated Draco to no end. Their antics seem to be aggravating Malfoy, who was looking more and more sour, each time he saw them at it. Ron said, "It's because he's bursting to say it's really him. You know how he hates anyone beating him at anything and you getting all the credit for his dirty work." Hermione said, "Not for long, the Polyjuice Potion is nearly ready. We'll be getting the truth out of him any day now." Harry and Ron smiles at Hermione. Ron and Hermione were looking forward to getting Malfoy to confess. Harry was hoping that their plan went well.