A cup of tea

Sophie...her name is Sophie and she's just invited me over for a cup of tea. I look at my reflection in the bathroom mirror, I wet my hair a little and comb it back. I also put on a bit of cologne. Luckily I was not yet in my pajamas, I wouldn't want Sophie to see me like that. I'm wearing grey trousers, a white shirt and a blue sweater. I practice some gestures in front of the mirror.

- Sophie, would you like to hear a joke?

No no no. Not like that.

- Do you like jokes, Sophie?...

No, neither. Ah, I know.

- Sophie...knock knock...

Ah, I don't know. I'm too nervous. Relax, Arthur, you'll do just fine.

I knock on the door of apartment 8B.

- Come in. It's open!- says Sophie.

I carefully push the door open. Her apartment is just the same as mine but it has a feminine touch. It's surely much better arranged than mine.

- Thought you weren't coming anymore...

- Ah, I'm sorry, I was helping mom.

- That's ok, have a seat, Arthur. I'll get some tea.

Sophie stands next to the kitchen and prepares two mugs. I sit down on the couch next to the small living room table.

- Your apartment is very nice.- I tell her.

- Hahahahah, Gigi is right, you really are funny! It's a goddamn shack!

- Oh! I use the exact same words to describe mine!

Sophie laughs. How nice she is.

- Is Gigi already asleep?- I ask.

- Oh no, she's staying over at my mom's tonight.

Sophie sits on a chair next to mine and sets both mugs down on the table. Her knees can nearly touch mine.

- Gigi says you're a clown...

- Yes, I'm a clown. And you?

- I'm not.

- HAHAHHAHAHA

I laugh a bit too loud and Sophie looks at me somewhat surprised. I cover my mouth.

- I'm sorry. It's just that...you have a good sense of humor. Ehm, what is it that you do?

- I work for an awful bank.

Sophie points her fingers to her head, as if she was shooting herself.

- HAHAHHAHA

Ah, no, I don't intend to laugh like that but Sophie is really funny. I don't want to make her uncomfortable. My hands shake nervously. I've never been on a date, least of all with such a beautiful woman. Sophie looks at me attentively, waiting for me to speak. But I don't know how to continue. I pick the mug up with one hand but it's so sweaty that the mug slips away and falls, crushing on the floor and splashing the tea all over the place.

- HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

This time it's not because of something funny, it's a nervous breakdown from having done everything wrong and it triggers my laughter. I don't want this, please not. Not here and not now. But I can't control it. I try to drown my laughter by covering my mouth with my elbow but it doesn't help. This time Sophie looks scared.

- I'm s-sorry...HAHAHAHAHAH. S-sorry!! I don't want to... HAHAHHAHAHA laugh...

She looks at me unable to understand anything. I desperately search my pocket until I find my card and hand it to her. Sophie reads it and glances at me with an expression I'm unable to decipher.