The first low blow

- Arthur! I got you a new job. It's at the children's hospital. They want you to do some clown stuff...see if you can cheer them up. Apparently they're depressed about something, who knows...

- Children's hospital?? Really?

- Yes!! Are you deaf?!

- No, it's just...ah, thank you so much!! I'll love to do that job!!

- Yes yes yes, shut up and hurry with the damn makeup. Don't waste my time and don't be late!

- Yes, sir.

It's the best place Hoyt could've sent me to! I sit down in front of the mirror and start with my makeup. I always take my shirt off to do this, so I don't stain my collar.

- Hello Artie!

- Hello Gary!

- You're in a good mood today!

- Yes, Hoyt just sent me to the children's hospital. Its great, don't you think?

- I'm glad, Artie! I got sent to the mall. Guess what! There's a home appliances store that brags about having the "lowest" prices, get it? Lowest!! And apparently they think that I represent their slogan very well...

- HAHAHAHAHA... great, Gary. Sorry, but this time it really is funny!!

- Hahaha...I guess it is...

- Hey, Gary...

- Yes?

- I met a girl...very pretty by the way! She says that she might come and see me at Pogo's! I've decided to try my luck on Thursday. I've prepared some jokes.

- That's awesome, Artie!! I'm happy for you.

- Thanks, Gary! Do you think she'll go?

- Of course!! Why wouldn't she? I'm sure you'll make her laugh.

Gary lifts my spirits.

- She said it out of pity.- a voice interrupts us.

I hadn't realized that Randall was here, listening. He stands behind me and our eyes meet in the mirror. Randy is not like Gary, he's my colleague but he's not really my friend.

- Come on, just look at yourself!! Who could want you? What woman could possibly be interested in you? Women look for strong men, muscular and handsome. Men who are sure of themselves, someone who can protect them.

I observe my figure in the mirror. My bony torso, my pale, bruised skin. I see my emaciated face, my tired eyes, my clown make up...a white foundation, the blue around the eyes and the red mouth. A fake smile. Randall is right...who could want me? Certainly not a woman as special as Sophie.

- See?? She pities you. You're nothing but a sad clown.

A tear springs from my right eye and runs down my cheek, running the blue and staining the white.

- Shut up, Randy!- says Gary.

- I'm only trying to help. Ain't it so, Art?

Randall puts an arm around my shoulder and smiles at me through the mirror. I look down. I don't like his smile. It makes me very uncomfortable. Randall can be very intimidating.

- I don't want my boy to get all excited and end up getting hurt.

I feel his hand squeezing my arm.

My boy...

I hate how those words sound. I don't know why, I just know that I hate them.