Freeloaders

Warning: My older writing.

"Oh?" a black-haired man murmured as he caught something shoot behind a bread box out of the corner of his eye.

"What?" a red-haired man asked.

"I think ye have a human infestation." The black-haired man rose from his chair, making his way toward the bread box.

"Yeah, I know." The red-head sighed. "I usually put a few crumbs o' something beside the bread box. The lil thing might be looking t'see if I put any."

The giants had taken over this realm many, many years ago, driving humans into a role of gathering instead of hunting. Most humans lived underground, but some lived like mice in the walls of the giants. These mice were dubbed as "gatherers", but giants typically called them "pests."

"Why haven't ye called someone?" the black-haired man questioned.

The red-head shrugged. "I didn't see a point."

"They steal shit," the black-haired man protested.

"The lil thing hasn't stolen anything yet, or if they have, I haven't even noticed."

The black-haired man pulled away the bread box, and a young woman with caramel complected skin sprinted out from behind it. In one fluid motion, she dropped to the counter, plunged a needle and string into the soft wood of the counter's side, and began to slide down the string. Unfortunately, he caught her just at the top of the string. In a desperate attempt to escape, she tried to leap aimlessly out of his hands. She was either going to find freedom or end her life at her own hands.

Very few giants would be merciful enough to put her outside where she at least had a chance to live. Most giants would just snap her neck. The cruelest few would eat her alive. She didn't want to find out which giant he was.

She slammed into the hard counter surface and tumbled away from the edge. He planted his hands in front of her, backing her into the wall. Her eyes widened and she practically whimpered when she realised she was trapped.

The red-head rose from his chair. "Aww. Leave the poor human alone."

"I just wanted t'see her. I wasn't goin' t'hurt her." the black-haired man objected.

"You scared her." The red-head frowned, watching the anxious human desperately search for a means to escape.

"You're probably scaring her too, ya know," the black-haired man huffed.

The red-head rolled his eyes. "Shut up." He reached his hand toward her, and she shrunk into a quivering ball. He gently pressed his thumb into her middle and curled his other fingers under her backside.

"Please," she begged, writhing in his grasp.

"It's alright. We're na' gonna hurt ye, lass." The red-head opened his palm, so she didn't feel too trapped. "I'm Rufus, and m'asshole friend here is Ulrik."

Ulrik slapped his arm.

Rufus ignored him. "And ye are...?"

"R-Rosemary."

"Would ye like somethin' t'eat, Rosemary?" Rufus asked gently.

...

After that day, Rufus just accepted her into his home as a small housemate. Instead of having full on missions to get food, she could just ask now.

"Oh hey, asshole! When did you get here?" Rosemary yelled up to Ulrik who lay long ways on the giant couch.

"Look, pipsqueak," Ulrik muttered bitterly, aggressively scooping her up with one hand. "Ye'd pair nicely wit' m'popcorn." He hauntingly dangled her over his giant popcorn bowl.

"Oh! Popcorn!" she chirped, not even remotely taking his threat seriously.

He sighed, depositing her on his middle, so she could get at the popcorn. She leaned over the rim and snatched up the smallest piece she could find. He curled a hand behind her backside as she happily munched on the popcorn.

"Are you joinin' us fer movie night?" Rufus asked as he entered the living room.

"No, I'm not watching another cheesy ass, horror movie." Rosemary scoffed. "I'm just getting some popcorn real quick."

"Freeloader," Rufus grumbled.

"Hey! Ulrik's a freeloader too!" Rosemary protested.

"I am na'!" Ulrik hissed.

"She's right. Ye've cost me ten times more today than she's cost me in a year." Rufus commented.

"Hah!" Rosemary stuck out her tongue.

Rufus crossed his arms. "But at least he's watchin' the movie, so he's allowed t'freeload."

"Hah." Ulrik stuck his tongue out too.

"Whatever." Rosemary rolled her eyes, trudging towards the edge of the couch.

"Ye heard Rufus. Freeloaders have t'watch the movie." Ulrik wrapped a hand around her.

"He never technically said that!" Rosemary argued.

Rufus leaned down and dramatically whispered, "Freeloaders have t'watch the movie."

Rosemary groaned. "I hate you all."