Off-Brand Hunger Games

**Warning: Light mentions of suicidal thoughts.**
            "Ye can't keep protectin' her," Lachlan told Ulrik. 

            Ulrik immediately knew what he was talking about and frowned. He was about to argue that he wasn't protecting her, but he knew Lachlan was right. 

            "She's just so small!" Ulrik whined, "She'd do the same for me." 

            "She would," Lachlan agreed, "But she's a badass, and not being able t'do anythin' is drivin' her nuts." 

            "You help Pret," Ulrik protested. 

            "I help her with things humans are more at a disadvantage to than us, but I don't go out of my way t'help her. If she's cold or we need t'move quickly, I can put her in m'pocket. It helps her out, but it doesn't put either of us out." Lachlan explained. 

            "That's what I do!" Ulrik pressed. 

            Lachlan crossed her arms. "No, ye dun'. Ye won't even let her go out on her own. Bein' cooped up at camp or in yer pocket isn't healthy for her, and ye know that. She needs to stay stretched and keep her cardio up. If something happened to you, she'd be fucked."

            "She's too small!" Ulrik whined again, "I can't lose her. I want us to both come out of this alive." 

            They were in a TV show sort of like the Hunger Games except it wasn't a competition against each other. Contestants of both giant and human were drafted to survive in extreme conditions in the wilderness for a month. It was a completely legal play to kill another contestant, but most didn't since it wasn't a last man standing type of thing. 

            "Ye will, but ye got t'let her take care of herself." Lachlan insisted. 

            "Why does it matter t'ye? If I want t'take care of her, then that's m'decision." Ulrik snapped. 

            Lachlan grew solemn. "Harper said she wanted to kill herself last night."

            Ulrik's legs felt weak. "Wha…?"

            "Shit sucks out here as it is, but Harper's grown depressed. I'm na' sayin' it's yer fault, but ye know how she is. She's always liked t'take control of her situation, and that's really all she's had out here. But she can't really do that when ye're takin' control for her. She feels helpless, so she thinks she might as well get death over with." Lachlan explained.

            "I...I didn't know," Ulrik whimpered. 

            "I know ye didn't. That's why I'm tellin' ye now. I know ye only help her with everything because ye love her." Lachlan said, "Harper's gonna sneak out t'go scoutin' while we get water."

            Ulrik's eyes widened, but he didn't speak. 

            "She's gonna be alright," Lachlan reassured Ulrik. 

            Ulrik merely nodded. 

***

            "Harper?" Ulrik called through the woods. He'd picked up her scent, but he couldn't find her.

            "Jesus Christ giant. Stop yelling, or you're going to get us killed!" Harper hissed, emerging from underneath a fern. "Why are you here?"

            "I came here t'find ye." He scooped the sputtering girl up into his hands. 

            She sighed. "We need to have a talk, Ulrik." 

            He nodded. "I already know what ye're goin' say, and I'm sorry. I didn't mean t'make ye depressed. I'll try na' t'be so overbearin'. I'm just want both of us t'come out alive, so we can have movie nights in the real world." 

            She smiled wryly. "Of course, big guy. But I'm gonna be okay to take care of myself."

            "I know ye will be. Ye're just too tiny, and-" 

            "Bitch, I know you didn't just call me tiny," she snapped. 

            He scoffed. "Ye're incredibly tiny, so hush. Yer height just scares me, but I know it doesn't stop ye from bein' a badass. So I'm gonna back off, but please dun' be mad at me if it takes time. I know I'm annoyin', but-" 

            "You're not annoying; you're sweet. You're just too sweet, and I don't know how to react to it. I'd prefer to take care of you, then be taken care of." she huffed. 

            "Ye can definitely take care of me when we get home," he purred. 

            "I will, you big baby." She laughed. "For now, do you wanna scout with me?" 

            He shook his head. "No, I'll leave ye alone."

            "Scout with me," she ordered. 

            He grinned. "Yes ma'am."