An Over-Protective Nightmare

Warning: My older writing.

    A low growl stirred her awake. She gave her eyes a second to adjust to the darkness, so she could examine the source of the growling. The source of the growling was large and exactly who she expected it to be. A giant⁠—her giant. 

    Normally, she'd sit in his palm while they had late-night talks, but she guessed they had both fallen out. She was still lazily curled up in his palm. 

    Another growl rumbled out of him. His face was contorted in a snarl. He must've been having a bad dream. He had them a lot.

She sat up⁠—about to wake him up⁠—but fingers loosely curled around her and pulled her closer to his chest. She yelped and struggled against his grasp. It got tighter as she fought back, so she relaxed. His fingers didn't squeeze anymore, but they didn't loosen. 

"Don't...don't touch her," he grumbled in his sleep. 

"Rufus, wake up!" she smacked his palm. 

Rufus' eyes snapped open, and he shot up, almost dropping her. 

"Oh, uh...sorry, Rosie." He chuckled awkwardly. He shifted her into the middle of his palm and loosened his fingers. 

"What was this nightmare about?" Rosemary gently rubbed at his calloused palm. 

"Na' much really. Just a random dream."

"It was about me again, wasn't it?" she challenged. 

He scoffed. "No."

She smiled wryly. "You got to stop worrying about me, big guy."

He⁠—being a naturally primal and territorial⁠ giant—was overly protective of her. And he constantly feared that another giant would get their hands on her. 

Giants and humans weren't typically friends. Giants ate humans, and humans slayed giants; it was a never ending cycle. 

He had nightmares of people breaking in or close friends stopping by and accidentally discovering his roommate, then proceeding to hurt her. 

A few close friends and family members knew about her. They were surprised at first, but no one had tried to hurt her. After they'd gotten to know her, they'd even considered her a friend too. Despite the positive outcomes so far, he still worried. 

"Hush," he snapped.

"No one's going to kidnap me, or hurt me, or eat me," she assured him.

"I'm gonna eat ye, if ye don't shut up." He cupped his other hand on top of her. 

"Hey!" She pushed his hand away. "You can't silence me."

"I can if I eat ye," he growled. 

She rolled her eyes. "Oh please. You'd have too many nightmares afterwards."

"Look, I just care about ye, alright?" he huffed, "Ye're m'lass."

"I know, I know," she sighed, "Nothing is going to happen to me, big guy."

"Promise?" he pouted. 

"I promise."

"Thanks, lass…" He smiled. "I'm still goin' t'worry about ye though."

She sighed. "I figured as much."