Pixie Stick

"How's the garden doing, Louv?" he questioned, fixing his warm gaze on the tiny woman and her large terrarium.
            It was a 100 gallon fish tank filled with two bonsai trees, a fern, an assortment of flowers, moss, and a little wooden house constructed out of bark. 

           "Absolutely wonderful," Louv cooed to a flower petal, gently brushing her hand over its smooth surface. 

           He leaned over the terrarium to watch her. She gently stroked her hand over the plants as she paced up and down the rows. Small, glittery bits of pixie dust fluttered from her fingertips and cascaded into each plant's soil. Dying bonsai needles instantly rejuvenated and flower buds began to sprout. She looked upon her creation in delight. 

           He pouted. "I wish I got as much attention as your garden got."

           She smiled. "Would you like some attention?" 

           "I thought that was kind of obvious," he muttered with naïve innocence. 

           She shook her head exasperatedly before trodding out of an open doorway carved into the side of the fish tank. 

           He grinned giddily and offered her his palm. She cautiously stepped into it, grabbing his thumb for support. 

           "I was going to watch this movie, and I was wondering if you wanted to watch it with me." 

           "Of course, Sawyer.” She paused. "First, I need to take care of our tree."

           "Our tree?" Sawyer muttered.

           Louv's pointed ears shot up, and she looked up at him in exasperation. "There's a pin oak tree in the middle of your backyard!" 

           He sighed. "Is it dying or something?"

           "Yes!" she wailed in distress.

           "Alright, alright. I'll take you outside." he relented, already making his way to his back door.

           When she was finally in range of the plant, she scurried to the edge of his hand and reached out to the tree. He was quick to reach out his other hand and block her.

           "Ah careful! You don't have wings." he warned.

           Louv frowned.

           Someone had got a hold of her and ripped off her wings. She hadn't told him who, and he didn't press. The experience was traumatic enough, and waking up everyday in a makeshift shelter didn't help. Though as the scars healed, so did she.

           She'd entered his care after he tried to uproot a tree. After losing her wings, she'd taken residency under that tree when it was still young. He wanted to remove the tree, so he could build a patio. He wasn't a huge nature person after all. When uplifting it, she ran out and begged him not to remove it. From there...well...you know how the story progressed.

           He still wasn't a huge nature person, but he'd made sure she had plenty of plants to tend to, including the tree in the backyard where they first met.

           Sawyer moved his hand and popped his thumb up. "Here. Use my thumb as a joystick as to where you want to go."

           Louv put her hands on his thumb and pushed it forward. He leaned into the tree, getting stabbed by branches in the process. Finally, she stopped pushing on his thumb and instead pushed her hands against the tree's trunk. The twinkle of a pixie dust appeared again and curved down the tree's trunk. Nothing physically happened, but Louv knew the disease inside of the tree was edging away.

           Sawyer smirked. "I guess you could call that tree a pixie stick."

           Louv shook her head and laughed before looking back up at him and smiling. "The tree will be okay now. Thank you."

           "Of course. Is there anything else you want to take care of?" 

           “Yes,” Louv admitted sweeping her gaze over his yard, “But I can’t save everything.”

    Her sparkling eyes fixed back onto him. “What movie are we going to watch?”