Diplomatic Sacrifice

Warning: My older writing

    She was the youngest princess out of the seven siblings. It didn't come as a surprise that she was sent as a diplomat to the giants, or let's be honest, sacrifice. 

    Similarly to dragons and other semi-primal, semi-civilized creatures, giants had a thing for princesses. They were like living pieces of treasure that could also double as snacks. 

    Her kingdom was being threatened by a presence they could not defeat alone, and with no other human kingdoms stupid enough to help them, they turned to the closest things to humans that didn't know better to stay out of the conflict.

    Some military dictatorship, super world power, dick wad whatever decided they wanted to get into economics, so they picked her kingdom to take over. Her kingdom had a strong economic standpoint since they owned a major port city on this side of the world, but they were a peaceful kingdom with a teeny-tiny military. So pretty much they were fucked. They only had one option left: giants. 

    She was on her way to beg the giant's king. A single knight escorted her. Like he could do anything to protect her against a mother fucking giant. He was just there to make sure she didn't run away. In fact, he left as soon as a giant picked her up and escorted her away. 

    She begged their king that he send any help he could spare. She begged for her people, not her family. Despite her family's dickness of sacrificing her, she truly cared for her people. Besides, she wasn't just going to walk up and say "Hey, go ahead and kill me now." She had to say something. Why not try to save some people or some shit like that? 

    Her kingdom had nothing to offer him. They were giants after all. They had no time for puny tapestry or specks of gold. Instead, they set up a contracted "I owe you". The request could be endless. Hell, he could even ask for her kingdom, and they'd have to turn it over without a fight. He had later confided in her that he had no reason or desire to take her kingdom, but at the time of the deal, she just hoped they'd have a better chance of hanging onto their kingdom this way than trying to fight the military dictatorship. 

    As she expected, he had also taken her as part of the deal. He still let her visit her family; sometimes he had to make her visit her family. Despite her original anger towards them, she eventually visited. She found out how sorry they were, how they had instantly regretted it, how they sent a party to recover her before she hit the border but they were too late, how they grieved for her after thinking they had sentenced their daughter to death, how her mother cried for her each night, how they wished they could go back in time and go themselves instead of sending her. She had never seen her father shed a tear until she told them she had to go back.

    The giant's king said she could leave after the war was over and her father had met his end of the deal. That had been six months ago, but it still felt like an eternity had passed. 

    "Do ye want some cocoa, lass?" Ulrik offered, holding out a hand for her to clamber into.

   It hadn't exactly been a bad eternity though. 

    "No thanks, big guy." Harper crawled into his hand. He was sweeter than she expected a giant to be. And a lot younger than she expected a king to be too. She expected a rough, wrinkled, hairy, old man, but instead she got a goofy, young man with messy, black hair. 

    During her stay, he had informed her that his mother passed when he was much younger and his father had recently passed away unexpectedly, making him king at a relatively young age. 

    He honestly had no idea what to do when she rolled up and asked for help. One, humans hadn't diplomatically visited giant country in hundreds of years. Two, no one had ever been brave enough to ask giants to step into their land. He kept asking himself what his father would do, but then he realized that his father would've been as clueless as him about this. So he metaphorically said "Fuck it. Let's be involved in the rest of the world for once."

    "Alright." He looked through the window. "It looks nice outside." 

    "It's fucking freezing," she huffed. It was much colder up here in the north of giant country than it was in her coastal kingdom. 

    "Tsk" He curled his fingers around her and carried her to the balcony. 

    "Uh-uh! I'm not going out there." she hissed, smacking at his palm. He didn't listen. She screamed as the cold touched her. 

    He shoved the furious creature into his pajama shirt pocket. 

    A normal king might wear a velvet robe or a fur coat, but he wore plaid pajama pants with a matching long-sleeved pajama shirt. For some reason, it had a pocket on the right breast. Men's fashion, I guess.

    She settled into the pocket, relishing in the heat radiating off of him. 

    "Happy?" he questioned dryly. 

    "Yep," she murmured contently.

    "Well, I have news, lass," he announced.

    She snorted. "No wonder you're up so early."

    He ignored the comment. "Yer pops came t'visit last night, and he told me that the other munchkins had surrendered. Yer pops signed the 'I owe you' agreement, and thanked me fer everythin'." 

    She gaped. "The war's over?"

    "Well...the few bits of their military that's left is still leavin' and surrender terms are still being negotiated, but yeah. Ye won." He smiled wryly. 

    "We won, Ulrik. Thank you for everything." She beamed with emotion.

    "Oh bah~" He looked away. "Guess I have t'let ye go home now." 

    It suddenly hit her hard. 

    For the record, their relationship was a completely platonic friendship. He had never really been interested in a relationship, and she was secretly a lesbian. They were just really good friends, practically best friends. 

    "Well technically, surrender hasn't been completely nailed out, so I can't go yet," she murmured defensively.

    "And yer kingdom does owe me big time," he added innocently, "I don't think it would hurt if ye had t'live here every other week."

    "Or-if I absolutely had to-I could just live here and visit them every once in a while," she suggested. 

    "Ye're gonna have to," he growled fakely. 

    She smiled. He smiled too.