Two Jades of the Gusu Clan

From the moment I embraced the beings of this wordly affairs, Gege is my only constant.

His kind eyes, his gentle words, his understanding of my personality and not demanding me to change, this soul is forever indebted to him.

People revere him to be the wise and me an aloof. We're few years apart but he has been my sole pillar of strength.

My mother.

My father.

My bestfriend.

Somewhere in this world if I can be who I want to be, it is only because of him.

~Lan Wangji 5 years old~

"Wangji?" his kind words makes my pale eyes turn towards him. They say we're mirror image of eachother. The only point of difference are our eyes. His are warm honey coloured and mine is cold and pale as ice.

"Gege" I nod and turn back to admire the snow covered mountains of Gusu.

"What is wrong?" Caressing my hair he enquires kindly. What do I say? Should I tell him that kids from the clan are making fun of me? Should I tell him I have no one to play with? That those kids won't take me in their team? Or that uncle again lectured me to give up on everything that was ever close to me?

A while ago Uncle caught me walking past Jingshi and he canned me for disobeying his order of never entering Jingshi. He asked me to give up on everything!

I don't tell any of this to my brother. Why should I trouble him with my woe? He himself has a lot going on. With my mind made up, I simply shake my head in denial.

He smiles and opens his palm. My eyes widen when I see the object in his hand.

My mother's Jade Hair Pin!!! That's what I wanted to bring along with me from Jingshi when I was caught by Uncle and confiscated it. This young heart was shattered.

Brother smiles kindly and gives it to me "Wangji, keep it" and my eyes seek his.

Am I allowed to? I don't ask but he nods. He always understood what's in my heart.

"Wangji, you don't have to ever use your words with me, I can understand my baby brother just by looking at him." Pulling me in for a hug he continues, "My wish is to always protect you, Wangji. You're my brother. You'll always come first."

Brother.