11 Years : A Gift

A sword attack from left was precise and masterful. I smile inwardly. Could be better. Needs more practice. My Bichen as usual is as faithful as ever and blocks the attack. Moving to my right, Bichen defends another attack and an attack after that.  

The person in front of me shows mild frustration while the other sitting on the ground has given up.

"Hanguang-Jun!" a defeated Jingyi whines "this isn't fair. If you're going to use Bichen against us, you'll always win".

"If you didn't skip class, you'd be better" I reprimand and he looks guilty. Looking at Sizhui in front of me, who is clutching his wrist, I nod "Can be better" sheathing my Bichen, I leave.

"Hanguang-Jun, wait" Jingyi follows me back to Jingshi "Ummmm" he trails off and I wait patiently for him to speak his mind out.

"Er... Hanguang-Jun, today is Sizhui's birthday" he pauses "we wanted to go to the nearby village and celebrate".

"Ask ZewuJun" 

"He asked me to ask you" he pleads.

"Why?"

"Beats me" he answers truthfully.

"Alright" I nod and leave. I smile when I hear Jingyi cheer out loudly.

Kids.

I hear a soft knock at my door and it's a pleasent surprise to find young Sizhui standing in front of me

I hear a soft knock at my door and it's a pleasent surprise to find young Sizhui standing in front of me. He holds out a small box in front of me.

"For you" he smiles and I take the box from him. Inside are some beautiful delicacies in form of sweets.

"Thank you" I look at his blushing cheeks.

"I..." He pauses "I wished that I could spend the last few remnants of my birthday with you, Hanguang-Jun".

They did stop calling me Hang-jun.

"Sizhui"

"Yes, Hanguang-Jun?" His eyes light up and I know, this would be the right moment to give it to him.

"Have a seat, I'll be back" and he immediately takes a seat on the patio.

For some reason, my heart skips few beats as I pick up the delicate box. How long has it been since I gave someone a gift? Have I ever given anyone any gift?

Bringing it out, I place it on Sizhui's lap "Happy Birthday" I wish him and he looks ecstatic. With enough gusto, he opens the box and I am reminded of the child who once refused to leave my leg and called me his father.

"Hanguang-Jun" he whisper and then is speechless. Gently he brings out the jade tassel and his dainty fingers caress them.

"This is..." He breaths in "this is too much".

"I saw them while I was traveling" I pat his shoulders softly "they're yours". My gaze falls on them and I am reminded of another lotus lover. He would have loved these too.

Made out of pristine Jade, adorned with a lotus shaped root and tassel. Perfect for our Sizhui.

The next moment, I am pushed back lightly, when the young boy hugs me quickly.

"Thank you, Hanguang-Jun, I will treasure this forever. Thank you" he smiles as he moves back and I carefully wipe his tears.

His smile.

His innocent smile reminds me of you everyday, my Wei Ying.

Dear Wei,

Dear Wei,

Today your Sizhui has turned 14. When you left him in my care he was just 3 years old. Time is running by for everyone, but not for me, my Wei.

My time stopped the day you left me.

I still miss you.

Please come back.

Your,
Lan Zhan.

(I know it's such a short chapter but it's too sweet)