chapter 1: Am I strong?

the crisp autumn air bites my cheek. my gray dress lifts up a bit. I instantly put it back down. maybe it's just abnegation instinct, or maybe just my fear of my father. my older brother, Tobias, pulls me close to my side. it's like he knows exactly what I'm thinking.

"what time is it?" I ask Tobias quietly. the last thing I want to happen is a beating for being late.

he checks his watch, "3:15", he says, his voice is calm. "We have five minutes. we need to pick up the pace."

I nod and quicken my pace, my short legs struggling to keep up with his long ones. what on earth am I going to do if he joins another faction? his aptitude test is tomorrow. part of me wants him to be free from my father and his abuse, but that would mean I would be the only one to take it, and there's no doubt my father will be angry. he'll blame me for Tobias' choice. if he stays in abnegation, I'll have my brother-my protector, the only person I'm for sure I love, and my best friend to stay with me. I want him to be free, which is the selfless thing to say, but the selfish part of me - which I am constantly reminded of every time my father strikes me- wants him to stay with me.

the squat gray houses of the abnegation sector of the city become clearer. we walk silently to our street, and before we get too close, I stop abruptly. Tobias stops and lifts my head up gently, so different from the way my father gets me to look and him. "freya... be strong..." when he releases me, I turn away before I do something stupid like cry.