丂丨乂

LOST

CHAPTER SIX

(THIS YEAR WILL BE DIFFERENT)

━━━━━━━━

 TJ was staring at a real life vampire

TJ was staring at a real life vampire. A freaking vampire! Instead of freaking out, and asking the boy a bunch of questions (like how could he go outside[?]), he played it cool. He was a "vampire hunter" he "totally" knew that vampires were real. Now, the vampire was doing something called compelling the student who had walked in Alaric, Hope, and TJ's big bad troll kill.

"The sound was just a busted water pipe, and then Dr. Saltzman—" "Principal Saltzman." Alaric quickly corrected. "My bad. Principal Saltzman turned the water off, and took care of everything." The girl that TJ found out to be named Maya swiped her tongue over her bottom lip.

"Wow. Crazy first day, huh?" TJ's eyes widened. He couldn't even do that. "Great. You can head back to class now." The girl headed out of the room when the vampire turned starting his way. It took a moment for TJ to process what this boy was about to do. When he did, Milton stopped in place unable to move.

"Uhhh... Dr. Saltzman?" Hope gasped "TJ!" The crazily powered boy sighed letting go of his hold on the vampire. "Uh, sorry." The vampire nodded like it was a common occurrence to be frozen. "We don't need to be compelled."

MG looked back to Dr. Saltzman who nodded his head in reassurance. "Uh... Uh, hey, if he trusts you, so do I. Uh, by the way, I don't usually do this. I'm not trying take anyone's agency, or anything. You know?" TJ wasn't into boys, but hypothetically speaking, if he was girl, he would notice how adorable this vampire was. He could feel the innocence of the teen boy. It seemed strange to TJ how such an innocent teen could be called a monster.

"So... I gotta jet." MG told
Dr. Saltzman "I got a study date with some— uh, someone. It could be anyone really." TJ smirked, leaning over into Hope's side. "It's his daughter," he whispered making the tribrid laugh. TJ didn't know how someone could possibly be scared of Alaric. The man was practically harmless, but it may just be a boyfriend/father thing.

"Well, thanks for getting here so quickly. I appreciate it." The vampire nodded. "Anytime. You're-you'll always be my headmaster." Alaric gave a goofy grin in reply. With that, the vampire left the room, and Hope stood up. "So, uh, why aren't you the headmaster of that other school anymore?"

"Its a long story." Alaric chuckled, "Oh. Okay. Uh... we'll be back once school lets out so we can clean up what's probably a dead troll." Hope glanced back at TJ who nodded getting out of the principal's surprisingly comfortable chair, and stepping up next to Hope.

"You two are really not fazed by any of this, are you?" TJ simply shrugged in reply. The vampire was more surprising then having to deal with another monster. Daniel had been sending those after TJ for almost a year now. "I-I mean, I-I just think that the story that you told me, about the monsters, and the scary black pit, just... makes a lot of sense. I guess."

TJ, and Hope nodded simultaneously. "I'm really glad to hear that it stopped. We're sorry that it's happening again." Alaric smiled softly, "It's not your fault. Now that I know your cover story is a lie, I'm assuming Tom, and Kathleen aren't real... and you two aren't really brother, and sister."

Once again, the two teenagers nodded in unison. "Okay, uh, the school I used to work at, you two would be welcome there. They might even be able to help you find out what you are." TJ faked a laugh. "Um... yeah, that sounds amazing, but we're just passing through."
Dr. Saltzman frowned, nodding nonetheless.

Hope did the one thing TJ wished she wouldn't have. The tribrid slipped her fingers into TJ's. The crazily powered boy swallowed down a gulp, focusing on the steps in front of him. "Hey, look, I, uh... I don't really have access to that school's resources anymore, and I'm trying to give my daughter's some space. But, if these monster attacks are starting up again, I could use the backup. You know, I don't really have anyone else." TJ pulled his hand away from Hope's trying his best to be subtle. Why does she keep doing that?

TJ turned to Hope waiting for any sign of an answer to Dr. Saltzman's insinuation. He knew it probably wasn't best for him to stay in one place. Heck, it probably isn't even good for him to be here this long, but he'd stay for Hope, if she asked. Hope plastered on another one of those fake smiles, "We work better alone."

There it was, Hope building up her walls to protect herself from being hurt by her past. Whilst TJ searched the mind of the troll, he had multitasked taking extra work to search through Hope's extremely meticulous thoughts, and get the full truth. He knew now, and he didn't judge her for wanting to keep secrets. He understood how it felt to be haunted by the demons of your past.

☆━━━━━━━━☆

"There's, uh, something I want to ask. This is mostly directed to Hope, but you know, when we were fighting, how'd I know to throw that bolt to you? It was like muscle memory." There it was. The real questions were finally being asked, and TJ could sense the truth was close to being discovered.

"We've fought together before, haven't we?" Alaric stopped in the front of the basement facing Hope. "What?" Hope tried to play dumb, "That seems totally impossible." "Yeah, except I live in a world where a creature named Malivore can erase people from your memory." Hope's silence was a definite answer. "I'll take that as a yes."

Come on, Hope. Just tell him.

"Even if I told you, it wouldn't change anything. Okay? It wouldn't bring your memories back. It would just be words. Leaving will be easier if you don't know." Alaric's eyebrows pulled into a furrow. "Well, then, don't leave."

It seemed like the solution would be that simple, but when it came to Hope Mikaelson, nothing was ever simple. "You told me that the monster attacks had stopped, and then right when TJ, and I show up, things start happening again. I'm pretty sure one of us is the reason. If it's TJ, I'm not staying here without him, and if it's me, well... I just-I can't stay here, and put all of you in danger."

Hope pushed past the older man heading for the location of the murdered troll. TJ gave Dr. Saltzman a sympathetic look before following after his friend, a small part of him happy that Hope said she wouldn't stay here without him. Happy that he had to have meant something to Hope.

TJ stepped past the wall to find a big spot of purple blood, and an arrow lying on the ground next to each other. "Aw, Crap."