Chapter 5: Runaway

My brain starts moving so quickly that time seems to stop.

First, I notice a smell, a wonderful smell that nearly knocks me to the ground. I wonder, for a moment, if I have been transported, because it smells like a forest after the first rainfall, peppered with wild berries. What on earth is that? I didn't think it had been raining.

Then, I notice the way everyone's vision swivels behind them, obviously looking for whatever it is that has captivated the Prince. The Prince, who is marveling at something with so much devotion that it must be the most exquisite thing on earth. I would turn around to see what it is, if not for his eyes. I wish I was worthy of his eyes, his eyes, dark and piercing and much more stunning in real life than I had thought they would be. I would look at them forever and find something new in their black depths.

But through this analysis of his eyes, I notice my dad begin to move his head back, and, oh goddess, he's going to see me! But what is that smell, it's making it so hard to react, making me stupid and dumb -

A feeling crashes on me like a landslide.

My nerves light up like a firecracker. Everything in my body shifts, like every one of my atoms wants to be as close to him as possible. If my feet didn't feel like cement, I would already be racing across the dance floor, just to be closer to him.

Him. Him.

The Prince. The Alpha Protum.

My mate.

I feel dizzy.

At once, a million images jump into my mind, some so scandalous that they make my face burn.

They are pushed aside by a mountain of fear.

My mate. My dad is my mom's mate. My dad, who has her call him 'Beta Collins' and hasn't let her leave the house other than to pick up Lucy in months.

Lucy. Goddess above, Lucy. She needs me right now. What if the Prince stowed me away? Kept me from her? Made me his servant, to play with as he wished?

What if I wanted him to?

The mate bond is a powerful thing. More often than not, it's not a good thing. I vividly see Mom, crying as Dad broke Lucy, kissing him the next day with an undying affection in her eyes.

And he's the Prince. What would Dad do? Would he give me freely to the Prince, grateful that I was no longer his problem?

Even if my mate would let me, Dad wouldn't let me get close to Lucy or Mom or Jonah ever again. If he knew about it, Lucy wouldn't be able to work with Dr. Huntley. She could kiss running and dancing and playing goodbye.

Most horrifying of all, I would love him. I would love him as he tore me apart. I would love him for tearing me apart.

I can't.

I won't.

This all takes place in the course of a second.

For this second, I stand frozen, staring at the Prince with wide, terrified eyes.

In the next second, I'm running.