Chapter 22: Of Rings and Royal Portraits

When I was five, Dad came home from a business trip - a peace treaty, or maybe an investigation of a neighboring pack. Because we live in the protecting pack for the Royal Alpha, Dad rarely had to leave town for anything, and it was the first time I remember him being gone. This was in the best days; when Dad was gone, I missed him, so much so that I ran out with Mom to meet him when he came home.

"Ashlee," Dad had said after hugging me tightly, "I brought you a present."

It was a ring. It was too big for even my thumb - I was only five, after all - but it was a real, fancy ring, a sterling band set with a dark and square stone. When a facet caught the light, a shot of purple was illuminated straight through the heart of it, and I stared at it, fascinated.

"It's too big," Mom argued, "and she's too young."

Looking back on it now, I know Mom was right. Who gives a 5 year old something so fancy, so impractical, so easily lost?

"She will grow into it," Dad said patiently, and he closed my small, perfect hands around the ring. I clutched it to my heart, feeling like, for the first time in my life, I had something truly precious.

But that was before.

There was a chance that I would grow into it, but by the time it may have fit, it was gone. I used to keep it in the bottom of my drawer with my fanciest clothes. Somewhere in the years, it had been lost.

During the next few days, I do more healing than the rest of my time combined. Two days after my transfusion with Orion's blood, I can walk without crutches and Dr. Kent removes the stiffer cast that she had put on just the week before. The bruises across my body have entirely faded away. I almost feel normal.

I try to decide how to leave.

"Jonah, I think it's time for us to go."

Jonah pauses, looking at me with a grimace, like this conversation is an awful chore he has been avoiding. He is walking with me outside of the palace, showing me the training grounds where he has been spending his days with other pack members. It still feels strange, to have a little brother again, but it's getting easier quickly. I guess having a sibling is like riding a bike.

"I - I don't think that I want to leave, Lee," Jonah eventually replies, avoiding my eyes. Guilt drips from every syllable.

"I mean," he continues, "I'm the next upper Beta, but even if I weren't - I'm happy."

He says this last part quietly, avoiding my eyes.

"I'm happier than I've ever been. I have friends. And I get to train in with other betas. And I - I don't have anything to run away from."

I don't reply, for a moment.

He's right. He isn't running from something - I am. I wasn't really expecting him to come with me, I think.

"Do - Do you think Mom would come?"

Another long shot. We both know the answer before he says anything.

"I don't know. Mom isn't exactly being logical right now. I don't think she would want to leave Dad here."

Jonah stops walking entirely, turning to look at me. He's so much taller than me. I wonder when that happened.