Chapter 7

Rayla leaned her head against the wall trying to hold back tears. Ezran had come but he hadn't remembered her. How could this be happening? Everything had been going well before Claudia had cast this spell. No, she couldn't think of the past. She needed to remain focused on the present. At least she knew Ezran was safe and he had said he would come back. She reached out and patted Zym on the head.

The dragon prince still hadn't woken up and Rayla was extremely worried about him. He was breathing so she knew that he was still alive. Rayla let herself cry then. All of her worry, frustration, sadness, and anger had been building, and now she couldn't stop the sobs. Rayla picked up Zym and cradled him in her arms as she cried. Useless. That one word kept racing through her mind. She was useless, she couldn't get out of this prison. She couldn't save Ezran. She couldn't save Zym. She couldn't save Callum. She had failed them all. Once her mind had started down the path of doubt and fear, Rayla couldn't stop it. All of her questions, worries, and fears had come crashing down on her.

Amid all her dark thoughts, Rayla thought she heard a voice. "Shut up," the voice said. What did that mean? The voice came again louder and more familiar when it spoke a second time, "Shut up!" Rayla closed her eyes and let the memory engulf her.

"Shut up," Callum said, "Just shut up, you're talking crazy. Just listen to me." Yes, Rayla would listen, she trusted and loved him. She tried to calm her breathing as she recalled the rest conversation. "You're too good to feel this bad about yourself. I know that, and you should know that." Callum had said this with such conviction Rayla knew she couldn't fight him on it, "I've seen you get knocked down so many times before, and every single time you get up again."

Rayla opened her eyes, returning to the present. Callum was right, as usual, she would get up and keep going. She had done it before and she would do it again. She would prove Callum right. Rayla looked up at the hole in the ceiling, silently wishing that Callum would appear above her and whispered, "I'll keep going for you Callum, I love you." Rayla trusted Callum and knew that Ezran would return with him. So she would wait until they came, and when they came she would be ready.