Chapter 14

Claudia's hands were shaking. Rayla was right, Claudia didn't have much of a stomach for torture. However, Claudia had done what needed to be done. If Callum and Ezran had discovered the truth then Claudia's new world was in trouble.

"Maybe you should fill your father in," spoke a deep mystical voice. Claudia glanced down at her wrist where a bracelet of a purple caterpillar resided. She had wanted to bring her father's bug friend, Aaravos, with her to their new reality. However, Claudia wasn't fond of the idea of wearing the bug as a scarf, so she changed him into a bracelet.

"Do you think that would help?" Claudia questioned. She would have to tell her father everything, including Soren's betrayal and his own death. Claudia wasn't sure she wanted that.

"I believe the situation calls for it. Besides your father will help you, especially because his life depends on your success."

"I suppose you're right," Claudia sighed, "Let's go tell him."

Claudia was surprised at how well her dad took the news. Viren didn't seem too surprised, and he even comforted her when she got to the hard parts in the story; such as, when he died. All he had asked was to see Rayla and Zym. So Claudia had shown him the trap door that led to their cell, and they were now heading down the long hallway.

"So Callum and Ezran might have found the elf?" Viren asked as they walked.

"Yes, and I don't know how well the illusion will hold once they learn the truth," Claudia was nervous, she didn't want to fail her dad again. They reached the door and Claudia started to unlock the cell.

"That's an easy fix. If we can't keep the elf quiet then we will force silence upon her," With that Viren entered the cell and Claudia filed in behind him.

******************************************************************************

Rayla was tense, she hoped Callum and Ezran had left. She didn't know what to expect from Claudia this time, and she didn't want them around if things got out of hand. The lock clicked and Lord Viren entered, followed by Claudia. So Claudia had finally decided to fill her dad in. That probably wasn't good for Rayla, since she had killed him. Rayla put herself in between the dark mage and Zym. However, it seemed that Viren was more interested in her.

"So this is the elf that ended my life," Viren said as he approached her. He grabbed Rayla's face and examined her, "You don't look that dangerous."

"Oh, don't worry, looks can be deceiving," Rayla said with an arrogant smile on her face. Viren pulled back and gave her an amused look.

"My point exactly," Viren said as he pulled out a pouch that sounded like it was full of coins. He pulled two coins out, " See these coins, they look ordinary, right? But look at what it contains." He flipped the coins over and showed her the other side. Rayla gasped. It couldn't be. No, they were supposed to be dead.

"I thought your face looked familiar," Viren said as he looked at the coins, "These wouldn't happen to be your parents?" Rayla ran at him with such force her shoulders nearly popped out of their sockets, but the chains wouldn't allow her any further.

"You monster. I'll kill you again!" Rayla was furious. She spat at Viren and her saliva hit him in the eye.

"Claudia's right, you're very talkative. We can fix that though." Viren raised what looked to be a weird paw and started reciting a spell.

"If you think a spell wil-" Rayla gagged. A glowing light exited her mouth and zoomed over to Viren. She tried to talk again, but her voice wouldn't work. She shot a look of pure hatred at Viren. He simply laughed and put her voice in a fancy looking jar.

"That's much better," Viren turned to Claudia, "Now she can't say anything, so you don't have to worry about her spilling secrets."

"Thanks, Dad," Claudia said taking the jar the held Rayla's voice from her father, "You'll have to teach me that spell sometime."

"Yes, but another time. Right now I have a different spell I want to show you." Viren headed towards the door. Rayla pulled against her chains, wishing they would break so she could get to Viren. Rayla didn't even need her swords, she would kill him with her bare hands. 

"Don't worry, "Viren said turning back to face Rayla, "You'll join them soon enough." With that, he and Claudia exited, and Rayla heard the lock click. She was furious. All this time her parents had been alive. But were they still alive? It seemed like they were trapped in coins. She opened her mouth to scream in fury, but no sound came out. This caused even more anger to burn in her. She started punching and kicking the wall. Imagining that with each hit she was hitting Viren. When she finally stopped her knuckles throbbed and her cheeks were wet with tears. She slid down the wall and sat down in a crumpled heap. She felt useless.

"Rayla?" A voice asked from above. It was Callum.