Chapter 25

Ethari was currently rummaging through his workshop trying to find supplies. He had received a letter from Rayla two days pryer telling of their victory over Lord Viren's army. However, the letter he had gotten this morning bore dreadful news. He had received a letter from Callum that read:

Ethari,

Something terrible has happened. Rayla is severely injured and she has at most three days to live. Something is draining the magic out of her and we need someone with an understanding of the moon arcanum. I instantly thought of you. I know we can save her with your help. I understand I'm asking a lot, but this is Rayla's life we're talking about.

Ethari wasn't sure where he and Rayla stood at the moment, but he had made a promise to Tiadrin and Lain. Plus, no matter what Rayla had or hadn't done she was still that little elf who was terrified of water and loved playing with adoraburrs. That little elf who Ethari had helped to raise and if he didn't help her now he knew he would never forgive himself. Sighing, he loaded the rest of his supplies into a bag, exited his workshop, and climbed onto his awaiting moon phoenix.

"I'm coming, Rayla, hang on," Ethari said as the moon phoenix flew into the air.

******************************************************************************

Callum sat next to Rayla's bed, holding her hand. He hoped that Ethari would come, it was the only chance he had of saving her. The doctors had managed to stitch up Rayla's wound but whatever Claudia had used the stab her with had left something behind. There was an unknown entity draining Rayla of her magic and Callum was worried. She needed the help of someone with an understanding of the moon arcanum, and that was something Callum didn't have. He was wondering about how he could save Rayla if Ethari's was a no show when he heard loud footsteps marching down the hall. The door burst open and in walked Ethari. He was carrying a bag and looked worried. Ethari slowed when he saw Rayla unconscious on the bed.

"Rayla," Ethari said with regret and reverence as he approached her.

"You came," Callum gawked.

"Of course I came. This is Rayla we're talking about. Now tell me everything, your letter was vague."

Callum explained how Claudia had cast a powerful spell that had transported them into a false reality. They had successfully broken the illusion but Rayla had taken a dagger meant for Callum during their escape.

"Do you remember what her dagger was made of?" Ethari asked as he started to rifle through the things in his bag.

"It was a purple bracelet with what looked like a bug pattern. It turned into a dagger when she was threatening me."

"I have never heard of anything like that."

"But you can still help her right?"

Ethari sighed, "I'm not sure, there might be something I can do but it's risky."

"What is it?"

"Whatever is draining Rayla is most likely taking her magic straight from its source. I can send you to the source of Rayla's magic. If you can cleanse it of whatever is draining it then she should be okay."

"What do you mean by Rayla's source?" Callum asked.

"Every magical creature is born with a source of magic inside them and when they connect to its arcanum they unlock the power of their source. This source is what dark mages use when the cast dark magic spells."

Callum nodded in understanding and stood up, "I'll do it. I'll go find whatever is draining Rayla of her magic."

"Callum, are you sure?" Ethari said, "I don't know what you'll find."

"Yes, I'm sure," Callum said as he looked down at Rayla. She looked troubled in her sleep, and he gently swept a lock of hair off her forehead, "It's my turn to save her."

"Okay, stand back," Ethari said as he stood up. He positioned himself between Rayla and Callum. He took out a magic powder and sprinkled some on Callum's head and then sprinkled a different powder on Rayla's head. Ethari looked at Callum before adding, "The moon arcanum deals with illusions, so be careful."

"I will."

Ethari gave Callum a nod and then started chanting.

"Producat illum ad fontem magicae"

Callum felt a tingling on his head as the powder started glowing. The room grew bright and he squinted his eyes. He felt a warm sensation that bordered on too hot, and then his world went white.

***************************************************************************

Callum groaned, opening his eyes, and looked around. He didn't see anyone, but the field looked familiar. Callum knew this place, it was the meadow Rayla had brought him to--the one with the adoraburrs. Except it was night time and a full moon hung in the sky. This must be the source of Rayla's magic. It was no wonder it had taken the form of this meadow since Rayla felt safe and comfortable here. Callum stood up and started looking around when he heard a twig snap. He turned around but didn't see anyone.

"Who are you?" A child's voice asked.

"I'm Callum," He said trying to find whoever was talking, "Who are you."

"I don't have a name, per se," The voice said. It sounded like the voice was coming from directly in front of him. But Callum couldn't see anyone there unless they were invisible.

"I'm here to help," Callum said, "You can trust me."

"That's what the other one said too," The voice spoke from behind Callum now, but before he could turn around his legs were swept out from under him. Callum watched as his assailant became visible. His attacker was no more than eight years old, she was holding sticks like swords, and she looked oddly familiar. She had white hair, violet eyes, brown horns, and blue markings under her eyes.

"Rayla?" Callum asked. 

###Author's Note###

Hello everyone! I'm sorry about the late update, but I wasn't able to connect to WiFi till right now. Thanks for reading and let me know what you think!-HappyLlama160