Chapter IV: Out Cold

*I would like to clarify that Delilah and her dad live at Painted Sky, where one of the debtors lived but for this storyline Mr. Wrobel will not be featured in this storyline

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I stare down at papa for a few seconds before placing my Cattleman inside of his bedside table, this is it. I place a few extra bullets right next to my weapon before shutting the drawer softly so I don't wake up. This is the first time he's actually really slept in a long time, and for that I am happy.

I lean down and plant my lips on his damp forehead, leaving them there for a second as I squeeze my eyes shut. I take my lips away from his head then open my eyes to look over his face once more, time has taken a toll upon him. Time has made his hair grey and thin when it used to be thick and dark, time has made his skin wrinkly and saggy when he used to look like a dashing young man. Papa had stopped going into town when people began comparing himself now to how he looked back then and how handsome he once was, but to me... he's perfect.

I turn down the oil lamp slightly so the intensity doesn't wake him in the night since I want take advantage of this moment of rest for him. I exit from our room and into the living area, making sure to firmly shut our door behind me so it makes me feel better about leaving.

I tuck my shirt into my pants before sitting down to pull my worn boots on my sore feet, all this running about really takes it's toll on a person. I shove the ends of my pants into my boots before standing back onto my feet, I walk towards our front door and pick up papa's old hat that has been hung up on that silver little hook for years. Papa has always said he got this hat from his uncle Daniel who happened to be an outlaw. Apparently whatever his uncle Daniel did was bad enough to where they hanged him for his unlawful actions in Tumbleweed... but right before he was strung up, he placed his hat onto papa's head and told him to "Never give into the temptation to cross to the bad side of the tracks." Those words had such an impact on him that he still repeats it to me, even to this day.

I find myself walking outside towards the barn where I keep Lakota at night, should I take her? I don't know what I'd do if I lost Lakota due to my decisions... she will be the only thing I have left after papa crosses over. I stop in front of the barn doors and press my hand against the wooden door but I keep it there instead of pushing the doors open. I lay my forehead against the scratchy wood and close my eyes. No. I'm not taking her.

How will I get there though? I guess I could walk, it's not that far. Well... not that far on horseback, walking could be a different story though. I sigh as I begin to walk away from the barn and begin to make my way around the house to the steep walkway that leads right down to the creek. I remind myself to pace myself since I have a decent walk there and back, what in the absolute hell am I doing?

-

I slowly and quietly make my way up the pathway towards the entrance of the camp trying to cause little to know suspicion about my arrival. "Oh goddamn it!" I whisper harshly to myself when I see someone guarding the front entrance, it's a healthy woman with blonde curly hair in an up do holding a shotgun in her hands. I can't get around her because I'm almost sure she'll spot me from every area I'd attempt to cower to. I look down and pick up a decent size rock then look back at the woman. I throw the rock into the bushes, thus creating a loud enough sound for her to hear. The woman draws her weapon and points it towards the direction I threw the rock, she begins to walk towards the commotion. I take this opportunity to swiftly but quietly sneak up behind her, I take out the Double Action out of my holster and smash the handle into the side of her head, knocking her out cold onto the dirt. Since she isn't in any sight, I just leave her there while I continue to make my way towards the caravan.

I hide behind a tree before moving to another tree as I look around the camp site. It's pretty large, but I don't see many people... maybe they're asleep? I slowly begin to creep towards another tree that is mostly covered by a giant bush, I take a peek from around the tree to see some people sitting around a campfire and they seem to be singing. I look to see something tied up to a tree right in front of me. I gasp when I realize they have a person tied with their hands behind their back, I put my hand over my mouth to try and deflect my loud breathing from being heard. Are they alive? From this person's built they seem to be a man, but it's too dark to be certain.

I look away from him to scan around till I see it, a wagon full of medicine. I pull my hand away from my mouth then begin to compose myself, I need to be calm. I slowly make my way towards the wagon by walking behind someone's tent, the last thing I need is to be caught now when I'm so close.

Soon enough my feet land right in front of the wagon, I look around to see nobody but a woman and little boy sleeping in the tent behind me. I stare at them for a second before turning my attention back towards the medicine, I grab whatever I can find and stuff it into my satchel quickly. I hear footsteps coming up from behind me swiftly and when I turn around...

Darkness