Chapter IX: The Love I Used To Know

It's been a few weeks since this house has went completely silent. I've just been trying to keep busy by tending to the cows or keeping really good care of Lakota by taking her on more rides or just brushing her more often than I need to. I haven't even slept in papa and I's room since, I've slept out in the barn with just an old horse blanket laid on top of some hay so it doesn't prickle me in my sleep. I can't bring myself to see our room without him in it, it would settle in far too quickly for me.

The Downes' visited two days ago to pay their respects to me when they saw the added gravestone that I had bought been placed. I think Uncle Thomas took it really hard, I had never seen him cry before until I opened up the door to see him, Edith and Archie standing there each with a plate of food. They had never been known to have money or even food to spare, but whenever someone is in need they are the first to help, especially Uncle Thomas. They have always been my second family, and they've always accepted me as the daughter they never had. Archie and I always treated each other like siblings in a way — we'd go fishing, play games together and sometimes bickering then making up ten minutes later because we can't stay mad at each other.

As I finish cleaning up Lakota's dung from the night before, I hear the barn doors being open. I swiftly turn around with my hand on my gun getting ready to draw but I stop my actions when I see Rhett pushing his way through the wooden doors.

  "Rhett?" I call out with confusion laced in my tone as I lean my pitchfork against the stall, Rhett smiles as he walks in completely. Something is off about him... he seems, normal? I raise my eyebrow as he rushes up and pulls me into his arms for a warm hug. I'm taken off guard but the sweet familiar smell of his clothes when he's not drinking along the way his arms feel around my waist instantly make me hug him back, most likely tighter.

  "I just found about Kevin, I'm so sorry..." Rhett tells me softly, I bury my face into his chest more. I really missed this Rhett, the Rhett I knew before Elizabeth got her hands on him. She changed him in a way, he got drunk more often which meant he couldn't work most days and for those days he didn't work  Elizabeth would hound him for it which just made him turn to the bottle more. 

  "You just found out?" I ask him but it's muffled, we pull away and stare at each other in the eyes. "I just stopped drinking yesterday, so now I can actually grasp onto what people tell me. " Rhett explains, I smile. He stopped drinking? I wonder what made him stop so suddenly. 

  "Thank you for coming by, it means a lot. " I tell him as I walk back towards my pitchfork to continue my chores. Rhett leans his arms against the stall as I begin to shovel dung once more. "Is this what you been doing?" Rhett asks, I shrug as I shove the shit into the manure barrel. "Keeps me busy. " I reply as I hang up the pitchfork back into it's designated spot then I pick up the handles of the barrel before I start rolling it.

  "I don't know how you do it, Lilah. " Rhett says as he opens the barn door for me to wheel the barrel out into the shit pile that sits in a huge wooden box. "Do what?" I ask as I lift up the barrel to dump the shit. "Act like stuff doesn't bother you." Rhett replies, I look over at him and just shrug.

  "I just don't let it bother me, I have other things to worry about other than drowning myself with thoughts. " I explain as we walk with each other back to the barn, Rhett chuckles. "That's what I always loved about you. " Rhett smiles and I can't help but let my heart flutter slightly, I just raise my eyebrow and ask "What?" 

  "Your willpower, stronger than anyone's I've ever seen. " Rhett compliments as we step inside the barn once more. I smile lightly his way before picking up Lakota's brush. "Oh do go on. " I joke making him laugh lightly before continuing. 

  "You're motivated, you're smart, you have one of the kindest hearts of anyone I've ever met and..." With each word he steps closer and closer towards me slow paced. I find myself glued to the dirty floor as his eyes pierce into mine. "you're the most beautiful woman I've ever known." Rhett finishes, just inches away from my face. 

  I look down at his lips then back to his eyes, he does the same as his face inches towards mine slowly. My heart rate begins to quicken as I feel his hot breath against my face. What in the hell am I doing? He has Elizabeth! What is he doing? We aren't kids anymore, we've grown and matured way too much just to fall back into our old habits. I come back to reality and away from the clouds as I close my eyes and look down. I chuckle before walking into Lakota's stall where she's standing. 

  "I'm-"

  "If I hear another 'I'm sorry' I think I'll go insane, Rhett. " I rush with my words, he just nods his head slowly. Rhett begins to walk toward the barn doors and I just watch as he walks away, I surprise myself when I call his name loudly. Rhett turns around. 

  "You goin' to Valentine?" I ask him, he nods his head as he places his hands in his pockets. I place Lakota's brush on top of the stable's half wall. "You mind if I ride with ya?" My question brings a smile to his face. 

  "You know you don't have to ask. " Rhett says before leaving me in the barn by myself. My cheeks flush once more with heat. I saddle up Lakota firmly before leading her out of the barn where I see Rhett sitting on top of the same horse he's had since we were twenty. Alamo's pure white coat almost blinds me whenever the sun it's it directly, I always used to say how Rhett loved his horse more than me and still to this day I'll stand by that statement. I mount up on Lakota as we begin our journey to Valentine for what I hope is a drink.