Chapter XXV: Hunting Trip II

tw// murder mentioned and detailed. read at own risk!

———

"Mama?" I call out as I walk out of my room while rubbing my tired eyes. I see mama standing by the window in her sleep wear with her long black hair in a messy braid and something in her hand. Mama looks back at me. "Sweetheart, go back to you room okay?" She tells me but I ignore her request. "What is that?" I ask and point at the thing in her hand I can't see due to the dark. Mama looks down at the item in her hand before looking back at me. "It's nothing Lilah-bear, go back to bed. " She tries to tell me once more but I ignore her once more.

The lightning outside strikes down, it's bright enough to light up half of our home so I can finally see papa's gun in her hand. "Mama why do you have that?" I ask but she physically grabs my hand and pulls me into my room. "Under no circumstance do you leave this room, you hear?" Mama tells me, I nod my head even though why I have no idea why I can't leave.

Mama pulls me into an embrace and kisses the top of my head for a few seconds before leaving my room. I try to fight the curiosity but I eventually finding myself sneaking out of my room and rush towards the window. Mama is outside in the rain walking towards the barn, the barn's doors are open wide. I try to lean in closer to see better.
Mama raises her gun up pointed at the barn and just then the sound of a gunshot makes me scream and cover my eyes. I uncover my eyes after a few seconds and look outside to see mama laying down on the ground. I gasp as I rush out the front door into the rain and run towards mama, getting my feet muddy and slippery.

"Mama!" I scream as she looks up at me gurgling on her own blood. There is a clean bullet wound right through her chest. Mama brings her hand up to my cheek and rubs it softly with her thumb.

"What the hell did you do, Colm?!" A man yells but I keep my eyes on mama. "She was gonna kill us, let's go!" Another voice yells back. I hear the sound of horse hooves race away.

Mama smiles up at me one last time before her eyes go lazy and her hand slowly falls down on her chest.

"Mama?! Mama! Mama wake up! Wake up mama..."

"Delilah? Delilah! Wake up, we gotta get on." Arthur's voice interrupts my dream, I open my eyes to see him standing over me. "What?" I answer groggily as I begin to wipe my eyes to rid the weariness. "We slept in for about an hour, we gotta get going."

I look up at Arthur before standing to my feet. "The deer ain't going anywhere soon, Morgan. " I tease as I stretch my back until the lower half pops a few times.

"Still better to go now so we can get back to camp by dark fall. " Arthur points out, it's a great point. Arthur bends down to begin pouring coffee that he had made into his metal cup.

"Arthur?" I say, he looks up at me as he pours his coffee. "Last night... I never told anybody all of that so... could you maybe not tell anyone?" I postulate, Arthur crooks the side of his lip into a smile.

"Of course. " He replies. I nod slowly before beginning to roll up my bedroll. I have a feeling he wouldn't say anything to anyone even if I didn't ask him but it just makes me feel better to let him know I don't want that information getting around the camp. The least thing I want it for people to label me as weak because of my past. I know I'm not the only one with a sad story in the camp but... it's just something I want to keep between me and Arthur.

"We can leave the horses here, the river is just down the hill." Arthur says as he takes two rifles off of his saddle then handing me one. "This is a Springfield, very powerful... one shot will take a buck down for sure."

I hold the heavy rifle in my hands and look down at it. I pull back the bolt making an empty gun shell pop out then cock it back in place. "C'mon. " Arthur speaks as he begins to walk down the small hill towards the waterfall. The sound of rushing water is peaceful and harmonious, the air is crisp, it smells as if a heavy rainstorm had just passed through but the musty odors from the surrounding trees make for a more interesting smell.

"Hey!" Arthur harshly whispers as he squats down, I follow his lead. "See that?" Arthur whispers to me, I pear around the bushes and see a Whitetail Buck stopping to take a drink from the stream. "Okay... what you're gonna need to do is-"

"I know how to kill a deer. " I argue as I lift the rifle up to what I hope is properly, I've never held a rifle like this one before. Arthur sighs while re-positioning the gun. "Anyone can kill a deer, but there is a difference between killin' somethin' and killin' somethin' properly. " Arthur whispers as he presses the stock between my shoulder and shoulder blade. Arthur takes my hand and puts it in the appropriate place so the gun doesn't kick back too much.

"Hold steady... and firm." Arthur whispers, I begin to peer into the medium length scope that makes seeing the deer a whole lot easier. "Just focus... breathe slowly... always pull the trigger on empty lungs. "Arthur advises as I watch the buck lift his head up from the water. I take in a deep breath and exhale.

I take one more deep breath and as I exhale, I pull the trigger. The gun recoils more than I thought it would, making my shoulder begin to ache. I lower the gun to see if I got it and there laying on the ground is the buck. "I got it!" I squeal with excitement as I stand to my feet, I look down at Arthur with a giant grin plastered along my face. Arthur stands to his feet and I instantly wrap my arm around his neck pulling him into a warm hug, he wraps his arms around my waist tightly.

We let go from our hug and stare into each other's eyes for a few seconds, I look down at his lips for a second then look down at the ground. "We better go get that buck before the wolves do. " I try to joke but Arthur just nods his head slowly before starting to walk down the hill towards the game. I slap myself in the forehead before throwing Arthur's rifle on my shoulder, I feel myself begin to flush with embarrassment as I make my way down the hill towards my deer.

"This is a decent size. " Arthur compliments as he picks the buck up and throws it's lifeless body over his shoulder. "Can't find a good size like this in Cumberland. " Arthur states as he whistles for Banner, I begin to whistle for Lakota.

"We headin' back?" I ask him, we're just gonna get one deer? Arthur begins to tie down the carcass just behind the saddle on Lakota's backside. "Might as well, this buck has enough meat for a few days... a week maybe. " Arthur replies, I mount up on Lakota while he continues making sure the buck is strapped in tightly.

"It's real pretty country down through here. " I point out while looking up at the tall trees that stand tall, stretching towards the sky. "That it is. " Arthur agrees as he mounts up onto Banner. "We should do this again... I had fun. " I suggest making Arthur smile lightly as we lock eyes once more.

"We should go..." Arthur says as he makes Banner trot back up the hill. I raise my eyebrows, did he just brush me off? I'd be lying if I said his words didn't sting a little bit, even though he probably didn't intent for them to.

I just keep my thoughts at bay as we continue down the road, I feel like this day is gonna be one of the longer ones.