Chapter XXXVII: Where Are You?

I wipe my forehead from any access sweat that has collected on my hairline. The days have been seeming to get hotter and longer.

  "Workin' hard?" John's voice chuckles from behind me, I turn my head around to see John staring down at me with a lit cigarette in between his lips. He actually takes me off guard due to the fact he's dressed up in a nice Saint Denis suit. I roll my eyes with a smirk on my face as I look back down at the wash bucket.

  "Mhm, and what're you doin'? Finally plannin' on gettin' hitched?" I tease as I drag Pearson's shirt across the washboard. John chuckles. I hear him drag a chair across the dirt, when he sits down the chair creaks under his weight.

  "There's a bank," John starts making my neck snap back towards him, "It should be easy... or at least that's what Hosea is thinking. " John finishes before taking a long drag of his premium cigarette. My gut tightens as my face scrunches up into a frown.

  "What're you talking about?" I speak with confusion lacing my tone, John exhales the cigarette smoke from his lungs making the grey toxins slowly disappear into the air.

  "Did nobody tell ya? Lot of us are going, I just figured you'd be goin' too..."

  "Excuse me," I start while I stand to my knees angrily. Why was I not even told this was happening? I storm around camp searching for Arthur before actually heading inside to see Hosea, Dutch and Arthur talking amongst themselves. They're all wearing about the same attire as John but somewhat fancier. I notice Arthur is wearing the same suit he wore on boat job.

  "Arthur?" I interrupt, all three men look my way. I shift uncomfortably before firmly saying, "Might I have a word?"

  Arthur looks back at Dutch and Hosea before nodding their way and walking towards me. Dutch and Hosea begin to continue their conversation without Arthur.

  I firmly grab Arthur's bicep and drag him down the hallway and up the stairs towards his room so we can have some privacy. Once we get into his room I slam the door shut, I look up at him.

  "Why didn't you tell me you're goin' on a job?" I ask with venom lacing my tone, Arthur sighs before turning around and walking towards his bed. He sits.

  "You're not ready for this kind of thing-"

  "It's one thing not letting me go but a whole other thing when you don't even tell me about it, Arthur!" I argue back to him, he rolls his eyes before looking down at the worn out wood. "Why didn't you tell me?" I ask letting some of my emotions peek through the surface. Maybe I'm overreacting a little, however, it still hurts that he wouldn't even tell me something so important like that. He could be hurt... or worse. 

  "It's a simple job, no big drama." Arthur tries to assure me but I cross my arms stubbornly. "Hosea and Abigail are gonna cause a little distraction a few streets down from the bank, and we'll go in and out most likely undetected." Arthur adds making it seem all the more unbelievable. 

  "If it's that simple then let me come." I try to negotiate but Arthur just dryly laughs keeping his gaze towards the ground. I keep my expression as still as stone to show him I'm serious.

  "Why not?" I ask before even giving him a chance to say no, he looks back up meeting my eyes. 

  "Do you not remember what happened back on that boat, Delilah? You got shot." Arthur argues a valid point. 

  "It barely even a graze, it didn't need stitches." I remind him. Arthur rolls his eyes before standing to his feet angrily. 

  "I'm not arguing with you about this!" Arthur raises his voice. He begins to walk past be and towards the bedroom door, I turn around swiftly and grip his arm to stop him.