Chapter VII: Proper Burial

hi so i made a little playlist for songs that kinda follow the book's storyline! it would warm my heart if you gave it a listen! check my announcements! happy new year!! who needs to go to a new years party when you can read sad rdr2 fanfiction at 12am and cry till u go to sleep?

                                                                                 ———————

  I continue to stare down at papa's body wrapped up in cloth, this isn't real. I place my hand on his head and feel what was left of his hair through the thin material. I can see a little bit of his facial features as well but since it's in the middle of the night and this oil lantern can only light up so much, I can only make out his mouth and nose.

  "Well I got it dug. " Arthur's voice says from behind me, I turn to see his blue shirt all dirtied and my shovel in his hand. "Thank you. " I tell him softly then look back down at papa. I'm waiting to wake up from this nightmare any second now, this can't be real... it can't! What am I to do now? My life revolved around papa, now there is nothing left to keep me here.

  I grab the cross I put together in the matter of ten minutes out from the wagon, as soon as I get the money I'll get him a proper headstone, just like mama and Clayton's.

"I'll give you another minute. " Arthur offers, I look over and nod my head once. With that, Arthur walks over to the ledge. I look back down at papa.

I wonder where he is. If there is a God above... is he with Him? Is he with mama and Clayton? Is he watching me right now? Who am I kidding... what kind of God would do this? Leave me with nothing? Take everything?

I jump off the back of the wagon then turn around to face papa once more, I lean down and place my forehead on his for a second more.

"Goodbye. " I tell papa softly with my eyes closed so it's easier to keep the tears within. After just a few more seconds, I lift my head up and open my eyes.

I begin to attempt to lift papa from the back of the wagon but he is surprisingly more heavy than I imagined he would be. Even though it's difficult, I throw papa over my shoulder then begin to walk towards the grave Arthur dug out for me.

  "Lemme help you with that. " Arthur offers but I just keep walking as if he never spoke a word. I place papa down right next to the dug out grave.

  "I'm sorry..." Arthur apologizes, I shake my head and ignore him once more as I begin to roll papa into his grave as gently as I can. Once papa is in the grave, I walk over near the wagon where Arthur left the shovel then pick it up to begin shoveling the dirt that was dug out to place it back in it's place.

  After around ten minutes, day begins to slowly break over the mountain tops... it would be such a beautiful sight if what was happening right now was not happening at all. The five foot hole that was once empty is now completely covered with dirt once more,

  I walk towards the wagon then grab the cross I made from the back along with my hammer. "Miss?" Arthur's voice calls, I ignore him for the third time as I begin to hammer down papa's cross down into the ground above him.

  "Ma'am?" Arthur says once more, I guess it's a new habit of mine to ignore him. I stare at papa's cross, it's all becoming real now. He's gone. He's never coming back. What have I done? Is this all my doing? God, how could I have been so stupid!

  "Ma'am I-" Arthur starts and places his hand on my shoulder but I quickly turn around and point the hammer in his direction fully intending on smashing his head into the dirt. Arthur puts his hands up in surrender as he slowly inches toward me.