Chapter XXXVI: The First Robbery

My stomach begins to tie into knots when Arthur and Trelawny open up the big wooden doors to reveal a grand room filled with what seems to be only men. The room smells of expensive liquor and cigar smoke, a somewhat nice combination.

"Now don't spend too much money or your wife will surely kill me!" Trelawny exclaims before patting Arthur's shoulder and walking away.

"Whatever you say." Arthur chuckles as he begins to lead us further into the enormous ballroom. There are a few poker tables sprawled around with at least five men sitting at each one with either a cigar or scotch in their grasp. They're all wearing glamorous suits that in theory could probably get us all tickets to Tahiti. All these men look the same. I'd love nothing more to be blessed with the money they have, but I'd never want to be like this.

  Arthur walks us down a little ways until he finds a poker table with a free chair just waiting for him. "Good evening gentleman... Arthur Callahan. My wife... Delilah Callahan. Sorry I'm late, we had some unfinished business in our suite upstairs." Arthur introduces making the other players sitting around either chuckle or envy him.

  I place my left hand on his shoulder in attempt to show off my ring. "Evenin' boys." I greet smoothly. A man by the name of Desmond Blythe introduces himself; mostly to me.

  The dealer begins to pass out the cards, I scan my eyes across the room until they land on an oversized man wearing a navy blue three piece suit who is already staring my way with a glass of whiskey pressed to his lips. I smirk his way before leaning down in Arthur's ear.

  "Good luck." I say seductively before pressing my lips to his cheek. I keep my lips there for a few seconds before pulling away leaving a faint mark from my lipstick. We smile at one another before I begin to walk away towards the bar.

  Trelawny is already standing at the bar puffing on a cigar. I make sure to stand right next to the ugly bastard as I elegantly raise my hand to the bartender.

  Before I can even speak, the man next to me calls to the bartender, "Your finest wine for the lady." I look over at the man trying my best not to gag at the sight of his yellow teeth trying to smile brightly at me.

  "Having a nice night?" The man asks, I shrug my left shoulder. "I can't complain." I try to reply in the most innocent passing voice. Men always love the innocent woman getup, might as well try it with this bastard.

  "Never have I laid my eyes on something more beautiful than right now. I love the scar, makes you seem... dangerous." He compliments in a husky tone. I can hear Trelawny snicker from beside me as he chokes on his drink. I find it troubling not to laugh with him.

  "Delilah A-Callahan." I catch myself as I hold my hand out for him to take, he gladly does. "Fredrick Newton." He replies as he closes his eyes brings his thin lips to my knuckles.

  In the time his eyes are shut, I look over to see how Arthur is doing. I then notice his eyes are right on us. I see Desmond Blythe snap his fingers in front of Arthur to get him to pay attention, Arthur goes back to the game instantly.

  "Tell me Fredrick," I start as I look back at him, "What is it that you do?" I ask as I begin to touch him, he chuckles.

  "I'm mainly in the sugar business, I've actually grown my business-" He explains but I stop listening after a few words as I continue to seem affectionate. I then feel his wallet in his suit's pocket.

  I nod along to every few words he says as he boasts about his wealth and success. I begin to laugh at something he says so he doesn't notice the feeling of his wallet leaving his pocket.