Chapter XII: Cornwall

I dismount Lakota slowly before hitching her up right in front of the second saloon in town, this one much more smaller than the other saloon I've grown to love. I walk up the wooden stairs and enter the saloon calmly, I don't have to look around long since Dutch is sitting at a table right by the window. We make eye contact, he sits down his drink on the table as he stands to his feet.

"Delilah!" Dutch greets with his arms extended and a bright gleam across his face, I smile lightly as I make my way over to his table. I guess Arthur told him my name. We shake hands as if this is our first time meeting, Dutch looks over at the bartender.

"You sir! Could you please get this girl - oh I'm sorry - this woman a whiskey! On me! " Dutch shouts but I pull a quarter out of my pocket with a smile smug smile on my lips. "I can buy my own drink. " I assure Dutch then I toss the quarter across the room so the bartender catches it in his hand. He gives me a thumbs up before preparing my whiskey. Dutch puts his hands up in surrender. "Well then," Dutch starts then he drops his hands down to his sides.

"Shall we sit? " Dutch asks as he leads me to the table where he was once sitting before. I pull my chair out then sit down right across from him. "Arthur said you wanted to speak with me?" I inform, Dutch sips on his drink which I assume to be scotch. Dutch nods.

"You'd be correct. " Dutch replies as the bartender sits down my whiskey in front of me, I just keep eye contact with Dutch. "If it's another apology then, I won't waste anymore of our times and just be on my way. " I tell him, he nods once. "Understandable but you're not here for an apology..." Dutch starts then sips on his scotch.

"More of an offer. " Dutch finishes as he smacks his tongue due to the alcohol. I furrow my eyebrows together in confusion. "An offer?" I ask, making sure I heard him correctly. Dutch nods.

"I know how you feel about us, I understand your desire to not be affiliated with us in any way, however, when Arthur explained everything to me after you left the camp... my heart went out to you. A young woman alone in the world with nobody to turn to when she needs help. Arthur was so moved by your story he was very adamant about you staying with the group permanently. " Dutch goes on. Arthur wants me to join? After today I was convinced he hated me, or maybe he didn't before he spoke with Dutch about this. I chuckle and lean in closer.

"That's where you'd be wrong, I don't need help from anyone. " I reply and lean back in my chair once I'm done speaking. I finally lift up my untouched Whiskey bottle to my lips as the familiar taste of fire smoothly goes down my throat. "I have my doubts with that. " Dutch replies, I roll my eyes and sit down my whiskey.

"I'm not the only orphan in the world, Dutch. I've been doing pretty good these past few weeks." I assure Dutch, as well as myself. Dutch shifts in his chair, slightly fixing his vest. "I see something in you, I'm not quite sure what it is yet but..." Dutch starts then rests his hand on top of mine.

"It's bright. " Dutch finishes before Arthur makes his way up to our table. "Am I interrupting something?" Arthur asks sarcastically making Dutch looks his way, as do I. Another man is standing beside Arthur, he has long black hair with scars that run across his face. I try not to stare at them but since they're very pink and noticeable, I can't help but glance for a few seconds.

"Where have you been? " Dutch asks angrily, Arthur looks down at me then back at Dutch. "Workin'... Marston's thing. "Arthur defends and I find myself slightly becoming uncomfortable in Arthur's presence.

"Just waitin' to get some pay on... a few sheep. " Arthur explains and I swear I can hear the sound of his pride being punched right in the gut when he says it. Arthur's eyes find mine once more but this time I turn to look down at the wooden table.

"Delilah..." Dutch starts, I assume waiting for me to finish my last name. "Asbury." I reply which makes him smile. "Ms. Asbury, it has been a pleasure speaking with you and I hope you think about what we discussed. John! Would you escort her back to her steed? " Dutch requests but before I can decline any help, John speaks up by saying "Of course."

I stand up from the dark wooden chair leaving my whiskey behind, before we exit the saloon I see Arthur sitting next to Dutch. I sigh and walk out with John. "She's just right here, I don't need help. " I assure John, to which he nods.

"You the girl that broke into camp a few weeks back?" John asks, I laugh slightly and nod. "That would be me. " I reply as I unhitch Lakota from the post. "I gotta say, good job on taking down Karen, you did what others are terrified to do. " John jokes, I laugh once more. He seems more laid back than Arthur.

"I'd say thank you but I think that'd be wrong. "

Our laughs cease when a random man walks up behind John and puts a gun up to his head. I gasp and try to cowardly mount Lakota but I'm grabbed by the waist and slammed back down onto the mud. Lakota thankfully hightails away from the commotion, I wouldn't want them hurting her too.

I try elbowing the man who grabbed me in the stomach until he holds a knife up to my throat tightly, not wanting to have my throat slit open, I stop fighting. The man who is holding me backs up slightly. The man holding me kicks the back of my legs, making my knees plant into the mud.

"Van der Linde! Get out here!" A man from behind us yells but since I can't move, the only time I can see him in in the reflection of the saloon window. He's an older chubby man with white hair along with a matching white beard. He's dressed elegantly, almost similar to how Dutch dresses but the stranger is wearing lighter colors instead of dark.

"You don't know me, but you keep robbin' me! My name is Leviticus Cornwall... and I'm not a man to be messed with by the likes of you! Get out here, before I have these people killed! Get out here you depraved piece of trash! You think I got where I am by letting scum like you rob from me? Van der Linde! You're done! Now get out here now!" Leviticus shouts to Dutch.

God, if you're truly up there... you will not let me die, right here, right now.

"Deal with this nonsense..." Leviticus tells his men before riding off. I can't focus on anything else but on the door... waiting for Arthur and Dutch to walk out.