Chapter XVI: New Beginnings

As we pass the Rhodes sign, we are now officially out of New Hanover and onto new beginnings. I'd be lying if a little piece of my heart didn't break when we left the camp site, I never imagined I would ever been leaving the state I've grown to fall in love with but I had no other choice. Plus, it's probably what's best anyways - staying there would just further deteriorate me as a human being.

  I take a deep breath of air as I ride alongside Charles and Javier. Apparently when Charles and Arthur went out scouting the area by Dewberry Creek they found a better place to set up camp. Charles says it's a beautiful area right by the water. I have to say, when Charles came to divert our course and Arthur was not with him... I thought the worse so I bet anybody could assume my relief when he said Arthur was just going to wait for us to arrive.

  I've now learned the names of everyone in the camp and it seems that everyone except for Karen - for obvious reasons - seem to be fond of me. Someone else has came into the camp, his name is Micah. I haven't spoken to him yet but just by watching him he seems like an asshole, so I just keep my distance. I can tell most of of the camp doesn't trust me yet, not including Lenny, Charles, Javier and Bill... they seemed to have complete trust in me after Dutch's speech. Mary-Beth and I have seemed to be somewhat inseparable since last night, I think she just might be a forever friend of mine... I hope.

  "So how have you been, Delilah? Is your wound treating you nicely?" Charles asks we trot down the road. I look over and smile his way. "Better, I can barely feel it now... I still get some pain here and there but nothing like it was. " I reply to Charles, he nods with a kind smile.

  "It's brave what you did for Dutch, I don't know of anyone who would jump in the line of fire for a man they just met. " Javier compliments, I look over towards Javier who is now looking my way. I shrug. "It didn't feel right... lettin' a man like that die. " I explain, Javier smiles brightly with teeth showing.

  "That bravery is gonna take you places, just you wait. " Javier says once more before it goes back to silence. I really do appreciate the kindness I've been receiving despite what I've done, it seems like in a way they respect me for being selfless enough to actually attempt to rob them for papa. Charles even mentioned once how he would do the same thing if he was in my shoes.

  It takes us about another ten or so minutes before we finally pull into a secluded area... Charles was right, it's beautiful. I see Arthur stand up from the log he was sitting on and wave towards us.

  I don't know why but as of lately my mood instantly becomes more happy when I even see Arthur for a second, I could be in the worst mood I've ever been in but Arthur always seems to brighten it up a little bit. I can't really explain how I feel but I think it's just happiness.

  My heart begins to race as Arthur noticeably starts to walk up to me, he looks up at me. "How'd you get on?" Arthur asks, I nod. "We got on good Arthur, thanks for asking. " Javier teases as he dismounts Boax. Arthur's face reddens as he rolls his eyes. "Just makin' sure none of your stupidity rubbed off on her on your way here. " Arthur fires back making Javier laugh.

  I roll my eyes playfully at the banter as I dismount Lakota with ease. I know it might be silly to say but I can't remember the last time I was this happy, my spirits have just been really high lately.

  "Delilah?" Arthur's voice says from behind me, I turn around to look up at him. "I'm gonna need some help gathering provisions for Mr. Pearson sometime soon and I wanted to see if you wanted to come on a huntin' trip with me. " Arthur propositions. It actually sounds like a good idea, on the one hand we'd actually get to know each other better... however, on the other hand I'm not the best person to take on a hunting trip, especially since this camp actually needs food.

  "Uh sure, when would that be?" I ask Arthur as I begin to walk towards a wagon. I grab a giant box full of vegetables. "Maybe a week or two? I need to help Dutch with a few things in town I'm sure of. " Arthur replies, I set the box of vegetables down on a table that Javier just placed down. I nod my head and shrug slightly.

  "Sure, why not?" I rhetorically ask, Arthur begins to show a crooked grin. "Alrighty then. " He says before tipping his hat down, turning on his heel and walking away. I watch him as he walks up to Dutch intently, I looks down at the apples and lettuce down in front of me and can't help but smile stupidly.

  Why am I acting this way? I haven't felt this way since- No. I can't do that. I can't feel that way towards Arthur, he's my friend. Plus, I vowed to myself never to fall in love with another since it's just a waste of time. Of course I don't love Arthur but... I don't want to learn how to. I can't. Not in this life, in this world. The people who I care deeply about tend to drop like flies with a snap of God's finger. I just can't help the way my stomach tightens when he comes around ever since the fishing trip.

  I shake my head as I walk back towards the wagon to unload more items, trying to push Arthur away from my thoughts. I can't help but him imagine though. What is gonna happen on the hunting trip? What am I even saying? Nothing. Nothing is gonna happen. The day that I gave Rhett back his ring I told myself that nobody would ever come in between me and the life I wanna live again... and I will stand by that till the day I die.

  I can't help but glance over at Arthur who is still talking with Dutch. My stomach tightens once more, I pry my eyes away from him as I look up at the sky. Why does God have to make me feel this way?

okay this one was a little short but i loved writing it it's so cute (: