Chapter XV: Bonfire Blues

The sun starts to settle over the horizon, making the camp become dark. I look down at the stew a man by the name of Mr. Pearson prepared for everyone, I just dip my metal spoon in the push the food around. I haven't had much of an appetite since papa passed, some part of me forgets he's gone sometimes and I catch myself saving leftovers for him... then the reality sets in.

  I look around the camp, it seems all of the members of the group are now sitting by the fire while I sit alone at this wooden round table. I sigh and look down at my food once more, suddenly feeling the urge to just dump what is left and go to sleep.

  John has been letting me use his tent since I've been here, I've been sleeping in his bed despite my wishes to sleep somewhere else. I feel bad for taking over his space but he insisted that it was okay and it would just be temporary until they figured out a place for me permanently.

  Permanently. That word still shocks me whenever people say that. Does that mean I could never leave? Even if I wanted to? I don't think they're the type of people to keep me here against my will but seeing they had me and that poor kids tied to a tree... I'd say all bets are off.

  "Hey." I hear a voice from behind me, I turn my head to see Arthur in his usual blue everyday shirt that hugs his large figure just right, his black neck wear, worn jeans and beat up boots. I smile up at him. "Hey. " I reply then look back at the people sitting by the fire.

  "You wanna join us?" Arthur asks, I shake my head. "No, I'm good. " I lie. I actually do want to be apart of the fun they seem to be having, drinks in their hand, laughing along with each other and even some are drunkenly singing old campfire songs papa and Uncle Thomas used to sing when we'd go camping some nights. I hear Arthur sigh.

  "C'mon. " Arthur says and grabs my arm, I look up at him confusingly while he begins to walk me over to the campfire with the surrounding people. It actually warms my heart that he wants me to be included.

  "Arthur!"  A Spanish man greets as Arthur and I make our way over. "Have a seat by the fire, my friend!" The man says once more, clearly intoxicated. Arthur waves his hand once while we figure out a place to sit. "Delilah!" A voice shouts, I look over to see Mary-Beth calling me.

  "You can sit here!" She informs me, she pats her hand on the empty plot right next to her. I look at Arthur which makes him nod once so with that I make my way towards Mary-Beth. "Hi." I say quietly as she smiles up at me.

  "Javier, why don't you play us a song?" Hosea asks making Javier chuckle. "Really?" Javier asks which prompts everyone to cheer him on and encourage him to play a song. "Alright alright!" Javier exclaims as he picks up an light oak colored guitar.

  "It's really good seeing you finally get better, have you had any pain at all?" Mary-Beth whispers to me as Javier begins to strum his guitar and sing a song in his native language. "Not really anymore, Hosea said it was just a pistol that shot me so I should be fine. " I explain to her, she nods with a kind smile across her lips.

  "That's really good to hear. " Mary-Beth replies. We begin to sit in silence as we watch and  Javier sing his lovely tunes. Should I apologize to Mary-Beth? I was really hoping to since she was trying to help me after all. I swallow what's left of my pride as I lean over to speak with her.

  "Hey uh... I just wanna say that I'm sorry for uh.." I start, she looks over at me and make direct eye contact. "You were tryin' to help me and I took that for granted. I'm sorry. " I apologize, she chuckles as she waves me off with a flick of her wrist.

  "Don't be worryin' about that. I was hurt at first until I realized everything that was goin' on... I woulda done the same thing if I was you." Mary-Beth reassures, I nod and a sudden weight has been taken off from my shoulders.

  Mary-Beth looks up, her eyes widen for a second before she looks back at me. "Not to freak ya out or anythin' but I think someone has their eye on you. "Mary-Beth whispers to me slyly. I raise my eyebrow as I ask "What?"

  "Look to your left without bein' obvious. " Mary-Beth whispers once more, I do just that by glancing at Javier before slowly looking to my left. Arthur and I make eye contact, we both smile at each other at the same time before looking away.

  "Arthur?" I ask Mary-Beth with a low tone. Mary-Beth takes my hand in hers and squeezes it tight. "I know! Can you believe it?" She asks excitedly but quietly, hopefully not drawing any attention. I shake my head.

  "Not him... we're friends, or somethin'... I'm not quite sure but I can assure you that Arthur ain't got no 'eyes' on me. " I try to convince Mary-Beth, but all she does is shrug. "Mhm, whatever you say. "

  I roll my eyes playfully as I stare back at Javier. I try to resist but I can help but glance at Arthur with just the moving of my eyes, he's singing along to a new song that we can actually sing a long to without sounding like a bunch of drunken idiots. Arthur takes a swig of beer as he laughs along with a young black man on the right side of him and Hosea on his left. I smile lightly at the sight. They all laugh as the song comes to an end, Javier begins to play and sing a slower melody in Spanish once more.

  I can't tell if it's the heat of the campfire or the beautiful music Javier is playing from his beautiful instrument but, I feel something in my heart tighten looking at Arthur. Seeing him happy is actually starting to make me feel happy. Arthur glances over at me which causes me to quickly look down at the dirt. My cheeks flush with heat from embarrassment. I decide to stop my staring and to actually start listening to Javier.

  "I'm sure gonna miss this place. " Mary-Beth says to me, I raise my eyebrow and look her way. "You're leaving?" I ask confusingly, I don't want her to leave... other than Arthur, John and Hosea I practically have nobody else... plus it feels good actually having a woman as a friend for once in my life.

  "No, we're moving. Goin' to somewhere called Dewberry Creek I think. " Mary-Beth replies. I had no idea we were leaving. I bet it's because of that man we met down by the river when Arthur, Jack and I went fishing. I guess the shootout in Valentine didn't help either. I look down at the ground as my body begins to tighten up. I've never left New Hanover before, the only town I've ever known is Valentine. I have to leave everything behind... my home, the Downes',  Rhett... should I even tell them? It might keep them safer if I just left without a word, the least thing I would want is the people I care about to be caught up in this mess.

  I look into the fire's flames as my thoughts begin to consume me.