Chapter XIV: Fishing

I flutter my eyes open to John's tent for the third day in a row, I lean up quickly but am rudely reminded of why I'm here as the pain in my side jolts once more. I groan as I hold my side. I lift up my shirt to see a bandage covering my wound, reality begins to set in. I should try getting up today, I've been on my ass since I got shot and it doesn't feel right. I try to stand to my feet but the pain does not allow me to. Not accepting what just happened to me, I fully stand to my feet even though it feels as I was just shot all over again.

  I shuffle towards the drape covering the exit to the tent, I push it to the side to see Arthur, Dutch and Hosea standing by the big white tent I saw before. Should I wait for them to notice me or just walk up to them? My question is answered when Hosea glances my way and quickly rushes to my aid.

  "You should not be up right now. " Hosea sternly tells me, I shake my head with a light smile. "I'm fine. " I lie and I swear God punishes me for lying by sending a sharp ache to the effected area.

  "Ladies and gentleman, gather around!" Dutch yells as loud as he can. Dutch approaches me and helps me walk towards his tent for an unknown reason. "Everyone...!" Dutch starts as a group of what seems to be ten to fifteen people, Dutch hooks his arm around my waist to help support me.

  "If it wasn't for this brave woman right here... I would not be standing here today. From now on, she is to be treated with the upmost respect, the past is in the past... and starting now... it's about the future. The future of the Van der Linde gang is bright if you stand with me! " Dutch announces to the group, I look over at Arthur who is looking down at the ground. I divert my eyes and look out to the group of people once more.

  Dutch sends everyone off then offers for me to sit in his tent while he reads a book, I politely decline his offer since I want to check on Lakota and see how she is doing. "Well, if you need anything... anything at all, do not hesitate to come to me. " Dutch assures me, I nod then begin to walk towards where the horses are. My heart skips a beat when I notice Lakota hitched up to a post. I limp faster to make my way towards her.

  I smile and kiss her snout when I get up to her. "You're okay." I whisper as I scratch her, she neighs softly. I kiss her once more then rest my forehead on hers.

  "You seem to be healing fast. " Arthur's voice says from behind me, I chuckle. "Not really, still hurts like a bitch. " I reply making him now chuckle at my words. "I bet. " He replies as he crosses his arms together.  I can tell he's thinking about something, but I just don't ask.

  Arthur begins to walk away but turns back around. "Hey uh, the boy and I are goin' out to try and catch some fish. Would you wanna tag along? " Arthur asks. I crook my lips into a slight smile. Are we actually being nice to each other now? I nod. "Yeah, I need to get outta here anyway. " I reply, Arthur's face seems to brighten at me responds.

  "Alright, I'll go get Jack. " With that, Arthur leaves me alone with Lakota for a moment. How the hell am I gonna mount up? I brace myself for the pain before swiftly throwing myself onto her back, I bite my lip as hard as I can to conceal my whines. I scratch Lakota's neck softly as I wait for the kid and Arthur to meet me by the entrance.

  When I look up I see Arthur mounting up on the same chestnut colored horse, I giggle as I remember that Arthur's horse was the one I stole that night. I watch as Arthur pulls Jack up from the ground and places the little boy in front of him. I can't help but smile at the heartwarming sight. I bet him and his boy are close.

  Arthur rides towards the entrance where I'm waiting, "Ready?" Arthur asks me, Jack looks me in the eyes then down where my wound is. Since I'm wearing a new shirt from a woman by the name of Grimshaw bought for me , there is no blood on this one thankfully.