One

Chapter one: "Strength that overcomes sickness"

Chapter one:
"Strength that overcomes sickness"

[☁]

The moon was shining with an intensity like you had never seen before. Between the unpleasant and nauseating smell of blood, the piercing screams that echoed through the place and the wind that blew violently and coldly against your skin, burning every sensitive fiber of your body, you couldn't process what had happened so that said massacre shook your life without prior notice, like a hurricane.

You were always of weak constitution, sick from birth, so you lived in a hospital. Day after day, you expected a visit from your parents, who never came. With the light of hope still burning within you, you yearned for a future in which you could play as other children did or hug your mother, even just once. You wanted to hold onto the warmth of someone who loved you, seek refuge in the arms of a loved one. But never, not once, did you even get a glance from your parents. And you kept insisting that they would visit you, until you heard a doctor say that they had abandoned you years ago, and that they only had you in the hospital and they didn't take you out of there out of pity.

So love and hope, even though they were feelings you wanted to experience, turned into a stupid lie.

That day had been no different than any other. You just took medicine and read a book until you started falling asleep. When the sun went down, you put one of your favorite books (which you were just rereading) on your side, and closed your eyes with the intention of resting.

However, hours later, an annoying noise forced you to wake up. Your heart felt it first, because it was beating so fast that you feared having an attack: it felt the danger approaching, the hurricane that would devastate everything and everyone.

Your eyes fluttered open. You looked around without moving a centimeter, since if it was an assassin who wanted to kill you, he would not realize that you were awake. In theory, you did find one murderer, or rather, several.

The sick people who were sleeping in the same room as you began to scream desperately when one of the murderers moved at a speed almost impossible to follow with human eyes and fitted his sharp teeth on the shoulder of a woman who had just had a baby. You lied on your futon, stunned, while the others tore and gobbled up the flesh of children and the elderly alike.

You weren't exactly scared, you were always prepared for death, no matter how painful it might be. However, your blood boiled more fervently than any flame. You were enraged, how could innocent people be killed like that? It was unfair, just ridiculous.

That injustice that corroded the world ate you alive. Those on the brink of death and those who got a second chance at life were brutally killed by monsters thirsty of flesh and blood. The weak, like you, should be protected and not mistreated. But still, those monsters finished removing the last petal from the flower of hope that each of those people had.

"How dare they?" you muttered, gritting your teeth. "How can they be so cruel? Monsters!"

Your veins began to mark around your body, your breathing becoming deeper and more controlled, while your gaze remained fixed on a grotesque monster that ate the entrails of a small child, the one you knew had arrived at that hospital after escaping from home after being mistreated by his parents. Your eyes passed through the disorganized place until they landed on one of the doctors, whose limbs had been cut. Finally, you witnessed as the newborn baby of the pregnant woman who was attacked in the first place, screeched with all the force that her small body had, while one of those creatures played aggressively with her, about to swallow her completely.

That was the last straw. You brandished the object closest to you and without thinking twice, attacked.

You did not know how your body, fragile and with low stamina, managed to move in such a way that could be compared to the physical skill of the assassins. Still, there were at least seven and you weren't properly equipped to kill them, as it didn't matter how much you cut, they kept regenerating. When you made a mistake and stumbled, the one in front of you with laughed out loud and launched at you to finish you off. You kept your eyes on him, facing death without fear.

In the blink of an eye, the killer's left arm flew through the air. Before you could react, his head was cut clean.

You stared up at the person who had done that feat, finding not only one, but four people surrounding you protectively. There was a tall guy, dressed with a mismatched haori and holding a dark blue sword. Next to him, a petite girl with a kind smile painted on her face. There was also a man with extravagant ornaments and white hair. Finally, a guy that looked much younger than the others, with long black locks that finished with mint tips, and oversized clothes.

"This is weird, demons conspiring to attack a hospital" the girl said, thrusting her sword on one of the demon's neck.

The white haired guy nooded, frowning for a moment before cutting off another head. The other two only focused on killing the leftovers, not articulating a word.

In seconds, all the culprits dropped dead on the floor.

"It seems she's the only survivor" the shortest guy said, putting his sword back inside its sheath.

"She has quite a flamboyant spirit, fighting off the demons all by herself" the white haired guy mentioned, kneeling to your height. "Are you really sick?"

Your gaze diverted towards the lone moon, shinning in the dead of the night. It became blurrier and blurrier, until you could only see dark, losing conciousness.