5: Money Lending and Other Sins

"John was looking for you," Miss Grimshaw said the next morning as I tried to drown my hangover using coffee.

"He was? Thanks," I said to her before calling out to Dutch, "Don't you worry, Micah escaped without a noose being tied around his neck this time."

"Thank you, Ann," he nodded at me as I went to find John.

"What do you want?" I asked as soon as I saw him.

"Uncle told me something about a train," he said, "He said Mary-Beth heard something about a train full of rich folk, rolling down through Scarlet Meadows."

"Yes," I said.

"You need help with it?" He asked.

"I ain't even sure about doing it," I said, backing up.

"Come on," John said, "At night, not too guarded, it's perfect!"

"I ain't thought it through," I said, scratching my head, "You know, stopping a train. Pain in the ass."

"Sure, but what if we could force a train to stop?" He asked me. "We get a wagon full of something flammable. Oil. Put it on the tracks. They see it, they know they either have to stop or die. Ain't no train driver wants to be cooked alive."

"That is... kinda brilliant," I said, grinning.

"So, we doing it?" He asked.

"Yeah, we're gonna need ammunition, guns... look real frightening, and some dynamite to open up the train," I told him.

"I'll get the supplies, you get the oil," John said, "Leave it at that old abandoned shack, just north of Dewberry Creek."

That I did. I knew exactly where to get the oil, from Leviticus Cornwall's oil refinery, and it was easy enough to steal. I just waited for a wagon to leave, dealt with the two men riding it, and left it at the correct place. Piece of cake.

I let the horses free once I ditched it and stared at my work, pretty impressed at how smoothly it went. I let John know the wagon was there, and we decided to let Charles and Arthur in on the plan. We needed manpower, and they were the two most trustworthy in our eyes.

"Meet us there tomorrow night," John said, leaving to talk with Charles as I stood with Arthur.

"Hey, Arthur?" Abigail called him, "Would you... do something with Jack?"

"Me? Why not his father?" he asked, an eyebrow raised.

"He likes you," she replied and I gave a small laugh, "Please."

"Sure, why not," Arthur nodded but Strauss approached us then.

"Ah, Herr Morgan, how did you get on?" Strauss asked Arthur.

"Called in on both of them," Arthur replied, a slightly annoyed look on his face, "That Wróbel? Didn't even speak English."

"Good, very good," Strauss said and I pulled a disgusted face.

"My pleasure," he shrugged.

"Well, if its pleasure you're after," Strauss said, "There is one other... this farmer, preacher feller who I met in Valentine. Mr Downes."

"Yeah, I recognise the name," Arthur said.

"Thank you, Herr Morgan," Arthur nodded at him as Strauss grabbed a bowl of stew from Pearson's concoction, "He's slippery, I've tried being polite. If he doesn't have the money, beat him."

Strauss left and I saw Arthur looking conflicted. He glanced at Jack and I understood, Strauss' matters were time-sensitive, but he'd just agreed to help Abigail.